Scroll To See More Images
I’d be lying if I said I was into the summer slides trend the first time it came around. When the shoes initially pervaded our lives, our stores and our Instagram feeds last summer, all I could think about was how damn impractical they were. My concerns weren’t at all aesthetic; by all means, slides were cute, low-key and just edgy enough to make any summer outfit all the more interesting. But they were slides. Surely, they’d slip off as easily as they’d slipped on. I couldn’t fathom the lived experience of wearing them everywhere. (Mules inspired a similar panic in my anxiety-prone mind.)
While I’m still not totally convinced that slides won’t slip off my sweaty summer feet every time I scurry around New York City, I’m no longer sure I care. Because they’re cute—and more importantly, they’re comfortable. Sensible shoes are the thing this year. The zeitgeist is showering us with excuses to sport them. If last year’s summer slides trend had come and gone, I could’ve stomached the thought of never giving it a go. Three-monthlong fads are tempting, but they don’t inspire too much fashion FOMO. (Sometimes, they even inspire the opposite. I was strong enough to withstand the thing that caught everyone’s eye, I can tell myself. I was rational. I was good. I was different.)
Summer slides have endured, though, and I’m not sure I can summon the strength to ignore them any longer. Every glimpse of them I get, my wherewithal wears further. Aren’t they worth a try? At least if I buy them, wear them and hate them, I can move on with my life assured that I gave them a shot. I didn’t prematurely close a door that could’ve opened my sartorial world up to new, magical possibilities.
Reader, as I’m sure you’ve guessed, the slides won this one. I fully intend to give them a shot this summer. Now, a new question looms overhead—which pair of the endlessly trendy things should I buy?
1. No 21 Contrast Open-Toe Slides, $329 at Farfetch
So retro. So delightful.
2. Willow Shell Raffia Sandal, $44 at Urban Outfitters
Because your shoe situation deserves a little shell action too, don’t you think?
3. Dr. Martens Myles Sandal, $105 at Urban Outfitters
The kind of low-key go-to everyone needs in their arsenal.
4. Ava Tie-Dye Platform Sandal, $29 at Urban Outfitters
It was really only a matter of time before tie-dye made its way to footwear.
5. Pierre Hardy Crossover Stripe Slides, $312 at Farfetch
A standard silhouette, rendered in a delightfully unexpected palette.
6. Romeo Buckle Sandals, $45 at Topshop
Animal print slides abound—and I’m low-key eyeing all of them.
7. Schutz Embellished Slide Sandals, $166 at Farfetch
Bedazzled anything gets an emphatic yes from me.
8. Yellow Logo Ellesse Sliders, $35 at Topshop
A remnant of 2018’s logomania obsession, trickling into the 2019 zeitgeist.
9. Hepburn Zebra Sandals, $48 at Topshop
Zebra is a chronically underrated animal print, and these slides just want to rectify that.
10. Alexandre Birman Bow Detailed Slides, $395 at Farfetch
Hot pink bows are basically always a good idea.
11. Birkenstock Arizona Papillio Platform Sandal, $125 at Urban Outfitters
In case you wanted a twist on the classic Birkenstock.
12. Ava Printed Neoprene Platform Sandal, $29 at Urban Outfitters
Flatform slides are abundant—and I’m just excited to have so many comfy going-out shoes on offer.
13. Moncler Evelyne Slides, $395 at Farfetch
A nautical slide fit for the Fourth of July (and basically every other day this summer).
14. Steve Madden Exclusive Slinky Platform Sandal, $70 at Urban Outfitters
OK, these flatforms are a little more on-the-nose aughts than some of the others. But I’m still pretty here for them.
15. Shell Embellished Flat Mules, $17.60 at Nasty Gal
More shell shoes, please.
16. Rainbow Pool Slide Sandals, $18.71 at American Eagle
The more colors, the merrier.
17. Flash Black Bar Sandals, $68 at Topshop
Sleek slides you could definitely wear to the office.
18. Natural Raffia Platform Wedges, $69.90 at Zara
Slides sure to elevate any ensemble you pair them with (in more ways than one).
19. Hilton Footbed Sandals, $50 at Topshop
A different approach to the classic animal print slide.
20. Adidas Originals Adilette Stripe Slides, $58 at Farfetch
Retro. Ironic-cute. Undoubtedly super-effing-comfy.
21. Vinyl Platform Wedges, $59.90 at Zara
Slides with multiple straps are definitely on the sartorial menu, too.
22. Tortoiseshell-Trim Low-Heeled Sandals, $59.90 at Zara
Your love of tortoiseshell can officially extend into the slides-sphere.
23. Ava Neoprene Platform Sandal, $29 at Urban Outfitters
Neoprene is making a comeback, and I’d be lying if I said my comfort-loving feet were anything but delighted about it.
24. Wide-Fit Cross-Strap Perspex Mules, $40 at ASOS
These embellished slides are all kinds of fun.
25. Freya Vegan Black Footbed Sandals, $75 at Topshop
Another classic go-to, because you deserve options.
26. Clergerie Braided Strap Slides, $183 at Farfetch
Woven slides for the shopper who can’t pick between straw sandals and black ones.
27. Sophia Webster Applique Sliders, $160 at Farfetch
Maximalism, encapsulated in a single pair of slides.
28. Rachel Footbed Sandals, $40 at Topshop
Snakeskin-lovers are surely delighted by the array of textured slides on offer.
29. Kolor Multi-Strap Slides, $443 at Farfetch
I have no idea what’s going on with these, but I do know I love them.
30. Dr. Scholl’s Exclusive Original Sandal, $65 at Urban Outfitters
Dr. Scholl’s—so you know they’re comfortable.
31. Mia Jasmin Buckled Slide Sandals, $25 at Lulus
Hard to resist hot pink anything—especially when it’s rendered in such a comfy silhouette.
32. Carmen Birkenstock, $120 at Free People
OK, so these probably wouldn’t slip off your feet. They might contribute to your sweat situation, though.
33. Heather Cork Wedge, $24.99 at Urban Outfitters
A slide with just enough of a wedge to warrant night-out wear.
34. Glitter Jelly Buckle-Strap Slides, $18 at Forever 21
It’s probably time for me to admit that I’m also here for the jelly sandal renaissance.
35. Soft Leather Slide Sandal, $29 at Urban Outfitters
The perfect addition to your day-to-day rotation.
36. Sidelines Footbed Sandal, $78 at Free People
A low-key statement shoe sure to elevate even the lowest-maintenance of tee-and-jeans combos.
37. LFL Alexa Multi-Slide Sandals, $23 at Lulus
A taste of summer’s tie-dye trend, rendered in slide form—how zeitgeisty.
38. Beach Front Espadrille Sandal, $68 at Free People
A sandal fit for beaches and fancy dinners, alike.
39. Frayed Seashell Slides, $59.90 at Zara
The shell accessory trend has far exceeded the bounds of jewelry—and I’m definitely not mad about it.
40. Jane and the Shoe Faux Fur Platform Slides, $18.99 at Forever 21
Faux fur and summer are far from mutually exclusive.
41. Piper Leopard Print Slide Sandals, $23 at Lulus
Genuinely obsessed with this take on summer animal prints.
42. Raye Mateo Sandal, $128 at Revolve
Dressy enough for date night—and like, every other night.
43. Fin Cross-Strap Rope Sliders, $56 at ASOS
So eye-catching you might find yourself staring at your feet all day.
44. Callie Criss-Cross Slide Sandals, $108 at Anthropologie
All kinds of comfy.
45. Addison Orange Suede Slide Sandals, $18 at Lulus
Need a last-minute pop of color? These suede slides have you covered.
46. Callie Criss-Cross Slide Sandals, $108 at Anthropologie
Low-key, versatile and assuredly cozy—what’s not to love?
47. Florist Sliders, $26 at ASOS
Because your feet deserve their own flower crowns.
48. Eva Arizona Birkenstock Sandal, $40 at Free People
Lavender is irresistibly pretty.
49. Kaanas Sedef Colorblock Slides, $119 at Lulus
A not-so-obvious nod to 2019’s patchwork trend.
50. Gina Platform Slide Sandal, $49 at Urban Outfitters
So aughts-inspired. So on-trend.
51. Rebecca Minkoff Vachel Slide, $128 at Revolve
Sure to brighten up any look.
52. Skye Molded Slide Sandal, $9.99 at Urban Outfitters
Slides, fit for the “ugly” footwear-obsessed shopper.
53. Humanoid Sage Sima Slide Sandals, $305 at Anthropologie
Green is underrated summer shade—don’t sleep on it.
54. Faux Sherling Trim Slides, $17.43 at Forever 21
Cozy enough to wear well into fall.
55. Billabong Surf Retreat Slide Sandals, $39.95 at Lulus
Low-key enough to complement your athleisure, rather than clash with it.
56. Jeffrey Campbell Dane Sandal, $75 at Revolve
Is it just me or do woven shoes drip with summery appeal?
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in May 2019. Updated June 2019.