Scroll To See More Images
Say the phrase “summer shoes,” and visions of sandals, stilettos and other strappy delights undoubtedly dance ’round your head. But the truth of the summer footwear landscape is that it’s far more varied than you’d expect—close-toed shoes abound. And with cute summer booties at the helm, it’s pretty hard to be upset about it.
We know, we know—summer booties sound like an oxymoron. Booties are a strictly fall/winter affair—and maybe, maybe, you could make the case for chunky, close-toed shoes in the spring. But summer? The days are hot, the air is humid and our feet desperately crave a break from the leather caverns they’ve occupied for months on end.
But some days, you’re just not in a sandal mood. Some days, you crave the security of a close-toed shoe. And some days, you just can’t ignore the fact that your go-to mini definitely pairs better with a chunky ankle boot than it does with literally any other shoe in your closet. It is in these moments that it pays to have stocked up on a pair or two of summer booties—so you can whip out a seasonally appropriate pair of kicks, rather than continue to rely on your winter rotation.
Summer booties may sound counterintuitive, but they exist—and they exist for a reason. Plus, when life gives you such an obvious excuse to go shoe shopping, you take it—right?
1. Marc Ellis Pointed-Toe Ankle Boots, $215 at Farfetch
Cerulean is an endlessly underrated color in the summertime, and these booties just want to rectify that.
2. Toga Pulla Silver-Tone Stud Pumps, $457 at Farfetch
A particularly fashion-forward take on last year’s cowboy boots trend.
3. Dr. Martens 1460 Color Pop Boot, $140 at Urban Outfitters
Rainboots sure to elevate your outfit, not ruin it.
4. Boohoo Heeled Zebra Ankle Boots, $64 at ASOS
Because cheetah isn’t the only animal print on offer.
5. Tina Suede Western Boot, $89 at Urban Outfitters
Further proof the cowboy boot trend looks prettier in pink.
6. Marques’Almeida Gold Metallic Western-Style Leather Boots, $329 at Farfetch
Make. Summer. Metallics. Happen.
7. Marsell Lace-Up Boots, $349 at Farfetch
Not your average ankle boot—not your average ankle boot at all.
8. Kate Croc Ankle Boot, $79 at Urban Outfitters
Go full maximalist—buy both, and mix and match them.
9. Diemme Leopard Print Boots, $400 at Farfetch
Who knew animal print hiking boots with neon laces would turn out looking this good?
10. Ganni Crocodile-Embossed Leather Ankle Boots, $247 at Farfetch
Ganni offers these croc-embossed boots in basically every shade of the rainbow—and we’re shopping all of them.
11. Check Lace-Up Boot, $168 at Free People
Hiking boots that definitely won’t cramp your style.
12. Seychelles Reservoir Ankle Boot, $139 at Urban Outfitters
The cut-out keeps these booties feeling particularly summer-friendly.
13. Marc Ellis Snakeskin Effect Boots, $261 at Farfetch
Cowboy-inspired style is inherently kitschy—lean in.
14. Dr. Martens Ambrose Archive Leather Boots, $148 at ASOS
A no-fail addition to any wardrobe, no matter the season.
15. Cow Does It Feel Ponyhair Boots, $52 at Nasty Gal
Cow print is having its moment—and we’re shopping every available iteration.
16. By Far Becca Boots, $505 at Farfetch
I mean, why not match your go-to denim jacket to a pair of denim boots?
17. GCDS Cut-Out Ankle Boots, $259 at Farfetch
A remnant of logomania, trickling into 2019.
18. Marc Ellis Metallic Ankle Boots, $215 at Farfetch
Metallic snakeskin is basically too fun to pass up, no matter the decade.
19. Dorateymur Applique Ankle Boots, $348 at Farfetch
Mod white booties with a fresh—and surprising—applique update.
20. Red Valentino Star Print Ankle Boots, $465 at Farfetch
Stars? Flowers? Star-flowers?
21. New Look Buckle Snakeskin Western Heeled Boots, $48 at ASOS
Quite possibly the most badass snakeskin booties we’ve laid eyes on in a while.
22. Marsell Lace-Up Boots, $998 at Farfetch
Genuinely obsessed with the flat ankle boot options on offer.
23. Marc Ellis Western Ankle Boots, $184 at Farfetch
Available in basically every palette imaginable.
24. MM6 Maison Margiela Mesh Effect Booties, $447 at Farfetch
Booties sure to let your feet breathe in the summer heat.
25. Toga Cowboy Ankle Boots, $215 at Farfetch
More cowboy boots, because they’re clearly not going anywhere any time soon.
26. Sonia Rykiel Block Heel Boots, $385 at Farfetch
The only kicks you need for the Fourth of July.
27. Love on Fire Contrast Western Boot, $60 at Nasty Gal
Boots that take full advantage of summer’s patchwork trend.
28. Buttero Paneled Booties, $418 at Farfetch
Nothing wrong with a classic pop-of-color red bootie.
29. Blue Bird Shoes Velvet Borboleta Boots, $213 at Farfetch
We never expected to be so charmed by tiny butterfly detailing, but here we are.
30. Pushbutton Western Boots, $509 at Farfetch
Cowboy boots fit for a superhero—now that’s an aestetic.
31. Blugirl Floral Embroidered Boots, $268 at Farfetch
Sure to play as well with your favorite floral dress as they will with your go-to tee-and-jeans combo.
32. RAYE Leon Boot, $228 at Revolve
A Western-inspired ankle boot, crafted with summer in mind.
33. Sbicca Mendoza Woven Leather Ankle Boots, $119.99 at Lulus
A black boot that doesn’t feel out of place on a hot summer’s day.
34. Crossroads Fringe Boot, $248 at Free People
Summer fringe is having a moment—and we’re shopping every possible iteration.
35. Animal Print Leather Ankle Boots, $89.99 at Zara
Buy them now, and wear them well into autumn.
36. Rag & Bone Cannon Boot, $417 at Revolve
Out of the box in more ways than one.
37. Printed Check Lace-Up Boot, $198 at Free People
A chunky combat boot that won’t overwhelm your favorite denim mini.
38. Heeled Animal Print Ankle Boots, $49.90 at Zara
Sure to play as well with your favorite summer dress as they will with your go-to boyfriend jeans.
39. Stradivarius Elastic Side Chelsea Boot, $64 at ASOS
Chelseas, done the summer way.
40. It’s Toe Use Faux Leather Snake Boot, $32 at Nasty Gal
More snake print, because you deserve options.
41. Rag & Bone Willow Stud Bootie, $550 at Revolve
A classic black boot with just enough embellishment to keep things interesting.
42. Dolce Vita Selma Bootie, $82 at Revolve
A little fringe detailing goes a long way.
43. Frye Billy Short Boot, $288 at Urban Outfitters
Because the cowboy boot trend isn’t going anywhere.
44. Metallic Nicola Heel Boot, $178 at Free People
Your new favorite statement shoe.
45. Elicia Lace-Up Heeled Boots, $60 at ASOS
A going-out shoe sure to elevate your look (in more ways than one).
46. Anine Bing Harris Boot, $599 at Revolve
Chic, on-trend and totally walkable—we’re sold.
47. Riley Hiker Boots, $56 at ASOS
Hiking boots, but make ’em fashion.
48. Tibi Cato Bootie, $795 at Revolve
A bootie that won’t overwhelm even the lightest of sundresses.
49. Vegan Pippa Heel Boot, $89 at Free People
A different approach to woven footwear.
50. Kate Femme Essential Boot, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Mod, made contemporary.
51. Fluorescent Sock-Styled Heeled Ankle Boots, $89.90 at Zara
Leave it to Zara to give us the neon sock boot we had no idea we needed.
52. Howdie Western Boots, $136 at Topshop
Another nod to our collective obsession with Western details.
53. Cut Out Heeled Boots, $28 at Nasty Gal
Who knew a hiking boot-cowboy boot hybrid could look this good?
54. Lace-Up Ankle Boots, $129 at Zara
A no-fail silhouette, rendered in a no-fail palette.
55. Dr. Martens Leona Platform Ankle Boot, $170 at Free People
Dr. Martens are always a good idea.
56. Annie Bing Harris Boot, $599 at Revolve
Just enough of a nod to the cowboy boot movement to feel on-trend but not too on-the-nose.
57. How High the Moon Star Ankle Boot, $40 at Nasty Gal
Forget polka dots—we’re covering our favorite pieces in stars.
58. Keller Heel Boot, $190 at Free People
We never met a suede boot we didn’t like.
59. Heeled Animal Print Ankle Boots, $49.99 at Zara
A dark-wash boot that actually feels right for summer.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in May 2019. Updated June 2019.