Scroll To See More Images
Though spring shopping tends to involve some combination of swimsuits, sandals and sundresses, shoppers would be remiss to ignore one key must-have: spring sweatshirts. Sure, spring is a season of warmth and excitement and days spent in the sun. But it’s also a season of transition, and few pieces promise to help us navigate the temperature ups and downs quite like spring sweatshirts.
I know, I know—I’m being kind of a downer. You’ve all but overdosed on cold weather, and you’re unwilling to tolerate any more chill now that the Spring Equinox has officially arrived. I get it. I spent way too many March days in snow boots, and I’m not keen on sacrificing April to the weather gods. But instead of taking a glass-half-empty approach, let’s try to appreciate all the romance and coziness inherent to spring sweatshirts, shall we?
Think of the last time you took a trip to the beach. Amidst all your bikinis and swim cover-ups and sand-friendly slides, you probably packed a couple cozier pieces too, right? Because it gets cold on the beach at night, and there’s nothing quite like enjoying the crashes of the waves, under the moonlight, on a beach inhabited by no one and nothing but you and your friends. Or what about the last semi-breezy day you spent in the park? The sun was beaming bright, but the gusts of air that blew through every few minutes or so gave you an absolutely delightful set of goosebumps—because without these chillier moments, you would’ve overheated and sought solace indoors after a mere 10 minutes.
These moments are romantic, and wonderful, and almost cinematic. They’re beautiful, and in many ways, they’re made more beautiful by the presence of cold air. Instead of failing to prepare for the chilly weather that undoubtedly awaits, stock up on cozy pieces that offer the warmth you seek in the winter but all the vibrant, fresh fun you seek from the spring. Spring sweatshirts are here to help you fill that void—and to make your most fairytale-worthy moments even more delightful.
1. Jackson Half-Zip Cropped Sweatshirt, $39 at Urban Outfitters
Athleisure at its sleekest.
2. Curve Neon Sweatshirt, $35 at ASOS
Because once the sun’s out in full force, neon’s always a good idea. (Let’s be real, neon is a good idea no matter what the weather is doing.)
3. Playa Pullover, $78 at Free People
A lower-key approach to spring’s tie-dye trend.
4. We the Free Stay Young Pullover, $78 at Free People
So cozy you could probably sleep in it.
5. Culver City Set, $98 at Free People
This one comes in a set. Because the only thing better than a cute sweatshirt is a pair of matching pants.
6. Love Like This Cashmere Pullover, $148 at Free People
They had us at cashmere pullover.
7. Buster Tie-Dye Draw-String Sweatshirt, $44 at Urban Outfitters
Your favorite middle school sweatshirt is officially cool again.
8. Washed Khaki Sweatshirt, $29 at ASOS
Something about quarter-length sleeves leaves this sweatshirt feeling particularly spring-y.
9. The Beauty Within Tie-Dye Hoodie Sweatshirt, $34.99 at Urban Outfitters
Tie-dye is coming in hot this spring, and we’re ready to embrace it in every possible format.
10. Sweatshirt with Lapel Collar, $25.90 at Zara
A sweatshirt you can actually wear to the office. (You’re welcome.)
11. Varsity Knit Sweatshirt, $65 at & Other Stories
Because even on spring’s coldest days, these colorful stripes promise to keep a smile on your face.
12. Bonded Sweatshirt, $57.50 at ASOS
Nothing like a solid periwinkle sweatshirt to carry you through every low temperature you encounter over the next few months.
13. Permanent Vacation Short-Sleeve Sweatshirt, $50.99 at Ban.do
A short-sleeve sweatshirt that was practically designed with spring in mind.
14. Soft Feel Sweatshirt, $29.90 at Zara
Colors this bright will help you stay in denial that it’s 40 degrees in March.
15. Out from Under Nikki Tie-Dye Hoodie Sweatshirt, $29.99 at Urban Outfitters
A subtler take on the tie-dye trend, for those of you who aren’t that into maximalism.
16. Tiered Trapeze Zip Sweatshirt, $128 at Free People
Who knew a sweatshirt could feel so distinctly boho?
17. Women in Art Collection Sweatshirt, $39.90 at Zara
Leave it to Zara to give us a sweatshirt that’s practically a work of art.
18. Monki Oversized Hoodie, $40 at ASOS
Stay cozy. Stay happy.
19. Summer Night Half-Zip Pullover, $128 at Free People
Zip-up pullovers are always a good idea.
20. Urban Renewal Recycled Tie-Dye Sweatshirt, $59 at Urban Outfitters
More tie-dye, because if you couldn’t tell, we can’t get enough.
21. Reebok Classic Purple Vector Half-Zip Sweatshirt, $95 at ASOS
This vintage-inspired athleisure option would make a perfect addition to your workout wardrobe—or your day-to-day one.
22. Reclaimed Vintage Cropped Hoodie, $64 at ASOS
Cropped hoodies are, of course, on the sartorial menu. (Pair them with your favorite high-waisted bottoms to keep your navel from freezing.)
23. Color Me Rad Pullover, $128 at Free People
Perfect for the retro fashion fiend in your life.
24. U.S.A. Colorblock Hoodie Sweatshirt, $59 at Urban Outfitters
Great with bike shorts, jeans, leggings—and practically every other bottom in your closet.
25. Stonewash Sweatshirt, $55 at Topshop
Because colorful isn’t the only way to do a spring sweatshirt.
26. Oh Marley Pullover, $49.95 at Free People
Perfect for fans of minimalism.
27. Guess x J Balvin Vibras Cropped Hoodie Sweatshirt, $79 at Urban Outfitters
The colors on this one are straight-up dreamy.
28. Front Text Print Sweatshirt, $17.90 at Zara
BRB, styling this sweatshirt exactly like so.
29. High Road Pullover, $128 at Free People
This pullover is sure to play as well with your favorite summery, beach-side pieces as it will with your colder-weather ones.
30. Neon Rose Puff-Sleeve Sweatshirt, $48 at ASOS
I mean, it’s floral and has puffy sleeves—need we say more?
31. Urban Renewal Recycled Oversized Burnout Sweatshirt, $49 at Urban Outfitters
A low-key sweatshirt sure to take you from season to season.
32. Washed Neon Sweatshirt, $50 at Topshop
Who cares what the weather’s doing when you have a chance to wear a color this cute?
33. Candy Paint Striped Sweatshirt, $47 at Lulus
Pastel stripes on pastel stripes.
34. Leisure Queen Sweatshirt, $64 at Ban.do
A sweatshirt that speaks for itself.
35. Bonded Sweatshirt, $72 at ASOS
When it comes down to it, there’s nothing wrong with a little solid hot pink action.
36. Rainbow Stripe Pullover, $69 at & Other Stories
Pair this with your favorite distressed jeans and white sneakers, and you’ll be set all season long.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in April 2016.