Scroll To See More Images
Though fall is, without a doubt, sweater-shopping season, spring offers its own version of the sartorial practice. Because if we’re being honest, spring tends to be as temperate as fall is. So why shouldn’t spring sweaters be as viable as autumnal options?
In September, we trade our summer brights for fall neutrals—stocking up on every olive, camel, chocolate or charcoal knit we can get our hands on. This leaves our sweater selection feeling distinctly cold weather-focused; we’ve prepared for chilly October days, not breezy April nights. Taking some time to restock the sweaters in our closets can allow us to dress in a way that feels simultaneously weather-appropriate and spring-friendly. Just as a bubblegum pink sweater would’ve felt odd during autumn, a chocolate one feels a little strange during the spring. The most practical pieces in our closets aren’t rendered in the appropriate palette, leaving spring dressing feeling all function, no fashion—a shame, considering spring is one of the most aesthetically exciting seasons of the year.
The easiest remedy to this dilemma? Shopping spring sweaters. Though the genre feels a little oxymoronic, it’s expansive, it’s diverse and it’s here to keep you cozy when spring’s temperatures get a little tricky. Most of all, it wants to help you remember that the sun is shining, flowers are blooming and warm weather is right around the corner. Why revert to your fall go-tos when you can celebrate a new season in spring pieces, instead?
1. Cold Ocean Sweater, $168 at Free People
A sweater that was practically designed with beach-wear in mind. (Seriously—it has “ocean” in its name.)
2. Beau Striped Boat-Neck Sweater, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Because the best time to wear a striped sweater is all the time.
3. Gia Ruffled Sweater, $59.95 at Anthropologie
A sweater that gives a subtle nod to spring’s ruffle trend without taking things too far.
4. Edgley Striped Knit Poncho, $140 at Anthropologie
Almost more shirt than sweater. Almost.
5. Tessa Tie-Front Tank Top, $44 at Urban Outfitters
Aughts-inspired in all the right ways.
6. Be Bright Back Crochet Sweater, $20 at Nasty Gal
You know we’re buying this one with the matching shorts.
7. Textured Weave Ice Cream Sweater, $49.90 at Zara
Match your sweater to your ice cream cone. Because you can.
8. Sienna Tie-Front Cropped Sweater, $59 at Urban Outfitters
Part cardigan, part bralette—all adorable.
9. Ricky Waffle-Knit Long-Sleeve Polo Shirt, $59 at Urban Outfitters
This vintage-inspired grandpa cardigan looks like it was made with breezy spring days in mind.
10. Harlow Strappy Tie-Back Sweater Crop Top, $69 at Urban Outfitters
A sweater as fit for festival season as it is for your next outdoor BBQ.
11. Wells Striped Pullover, $165 at Anthropologie
The subtle balloon-sleeve takes this pullover from simple to head-turning.
12. Rainbow ‘Round Me Striped Sheer Knit Top, $23 at Lulus
Because tank tops are never not useful, come spring and summer.
13. Micah Rainbow Ribbed V-Neck Sweater, $59 at Urban Outfitters
A sweater that makes full use of every color in spring’s palette.
14. Knitted Tank Top, $30 at Topshop
A knitted tank worthy of the office, the beach and everywhere in between.
15. Inside Out Pullover, $78 at Free People
The perfect thing to slip on when you’re craving excitement and comfort at the same damn time.
16. Primary Pommed Sweater, $79.95 at Anthropologie
Pom-poms are just plain fun.
17. Stripe Knit Tank, $26 at ASOS
A perfect Saturday night go-to.
18. Studio Crochet Two-Tone Coat, $129 at Zara
This feels more like a sweater than a coat, but it’s so cute, we kind of don’t care what category it falls in.
19. Vintage Irish Cable Knit Sweater, $128 at Free People
White sweaters are no-fail purchases, no matter the season.
20. Cropped Striped Sweater, $69 at & Other Stories
Perfect for throwing over button-downs—or wearing on its own.
21. City of Stars Sweater, $168 at Free People
A little sleeve cut-out goes a long way in the spring and summer.
22. Bright Stripe Zip-Neck Crop Top, $29 at ASOS
The ’90s take on 2019 athleisure.
23. Super Sweet Fruity Pullover Sweater, $59 at Urban Outfitters
Because fruit makes basically everything better.
24. Crocheted Top, $49.90 at Zara
Leave it to Zara to deliver one of the chicest takes on spring’s crochet trend around.
25. Balloon-Sleeve Stitch-Detail Sweater, $42 at ASOS
Nothing says spring and summer like a healthy dose of neon.
26. Bliss Fuzzy Cropped Tee, $59 at Urban Outfitters
A knit tee that combines all of spring’s most vibrant colors.
27. Knit Sweatshirt with Embroidery and Fringe, $39.90 at Zara
A fringe sweater as fun and interesting as you are.
28. Layna Knit Turtleneck, $120 at Anthropologie
Because simple silhouettes are far from overrated.
29. Rainbow Eyelash Long-Sleeve Crop Top, $59 at Urban Outfitters
Eyelash sweaters are too damn fun to pass up.
30. Colorblock Sweater, $89 at & Other Stories
A spring shade trifecta.
31. Noisy May Fluffy Neon Sweater, $33.50 at ASOS
I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again: Vibrant knits are the funnest way to transition from season to season.
32. Sunshine and Rainbows Stripe Sweater Top, $70 at Lulus
Because winter white is way more fun when covered with spring-facing colors.
33. Monki Mixed Leopard Print Knitted Sweater, $32 at ASOS
Um, how many technicolor leopard print sweaters is too many technicolor leopard print sweaters? Obviously not asking for a friend.
34. Stradivarius Stripe Sweater, $48 at ASOS
A sweater sure to put a smile on your face—even if it’s snowing in April.
35. Monki Longline V-Neck Sweater, $56 at ASOS
BRB, buying this and styling it exactly like so.
36. Stateside Terry Pullover, $126 at Anthropologie
Sport this terry pullover with the matching terry pants for a real power move.
37. Open-Stitch Fluffy-Yarn Sweater, $48 at ASOS
The open-stitch knit makes this fluffy sweater extra-breathable.
38. Good Vibes Only Cable-Knit Sweater Tank, $32 at Lulus
Literally just a sweater in tank top form. What’s more spring than that?
39. Connelly Sweater, $49.95 at Anthropologie
Channel your inner Audrey Hepburn in this sweater, and be sure to document the results on Instagram.
40. Big Easy Cowl Pullover, $99.95 at Free People
Perfect for throwing on over a bikini for a breezy, beachside night. (This sweater obviously has other applications, too, I’m just getting lost in a vicarious vacation over here—don’t mind me.)
41. Ribbed Fine-Knit Sweater, $26 at ASOS
Pretty sure this sweater would pair well with everything in your closet.
42. Chunky Bright Animal Sweater, $51 at ASOS
Quite possibly the spring-iest way to wear animal prints.
43. Textured Weave Mesh Top, $29.90 at Zara
Perfect as a swim cover-up—or a subtly sexy day-to-day top.
44. Charisma Wrap Sweater Top, $33 at Lulus
A no-fail silhouette rendered in a no-fail fabric—such a win.
45. Seascape Sweater, $69.95 at Free People
Throw this over bike shorts, leggings, bikini bottoms, whatever—and you’ll be set.
46. Eyelash Drawstring-Hem Sweater, $76 at Urban Outfitters
47. Esprit High-Neck Lightweight Sweater, $24.50 at ASOS
A 1990s relic fit for 2019.
48. Textured Top, $39.90 at Zara
All the fun of a frilly spring top—with all the warm snuggles of a sweater.
49. Bershka High-Neck Knitted Sweater, $40 at ASOS
Throw this sweater over any bottom in your closet, and you’ll have low-key chic (and cozy) style in no time.
50. Floral Embroidery Cable Sweater, $57 at ASOS
The kind of thing your grandma would make for you, if your grandma embroidered.
51. Tassa Textured Pullover Sweater, $64 at Urban Outfitters
All kinds of cozy.
52. Shea Zip-Up Sweater Jacket, $59.99 at Urban Outfitters
Sweater jackets are basically the zip-up, structured version of cardigans.
53. Karlee Ribbed Knit Sweater Top, $39 at Lulus
Lightweight sweaters are key once the temperatures hit 70 but the windchill’s still, like, 50.
54. Textured Knit Sweater, $29.90 at Zara
More short-sleeve sweaters, because really, can you ever have too many?
55. Free Style Striped Eyelash Sweater, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Two of spring’s funnest colors combined in one adorably striped sweater.
56. Natalia Off-the-Shoulder Sweater, $79.95 at Anthropologie
Off-the-shoulder is officially available in knit form.
57. Higher Love Pullover Sweater, $168 at Free People
From the open knit to the fringe-covered hemline, it’s clear this sweater was made with spring in mind.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in March 2019.