Scroll To See More Images
I know spring officially kicked off on March 20, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t start mentally shopping my spring wardrobe way back in, like, February. Retailers swapped their winter wares for spring options a long, long time ago, leaving me more aware than the average bear about what chic spring skirts have been on offer—and which ones are worth snapping up ASAP.
Unfortunately, it’s still a little chilly out. But the equinox came and went a couple weeks ago, so if now isn’t an acceptable time to shop spring skirts (and other warm-weather pieces), I don’t know when is. Sure, it feels a little strange to stock up on swimsuits and sandals while the threat of snow still looms overhead. But spring skirts? They seem like a pretty harmless way to dip my toes into the spring shopping universe—and honestly, I can’t hold off on doing so much longer. Here in New York, the weather doesn’t tend to heat up consistently until late May. And that’s summer shopping season. I need spring, I want spring, I love spring—and I’m not waiting two more months to shop it.
Though the phrase “spring skirts” might summon visions of pastels, ginghams and lightweight ruffles, the reality of the genre is a little more diverse. There are structured spring skirts and breezy ones, colorful ones and darker ones, linen ones and knit ones. Like fall clothes, spring clothes tend to walk the line between winter cold and summer warmth; though many of us recognize it as an extended beginning of summer, spring is really just a transitional season—and spring clothes tend to exemplify that. This season’s spring skirts are no exception. (Which is really yet another excuse to let yourself off the hook for shopping—or at least, eyeing—them while the temperatures are still hovering around 45 degrees.)
1. One Artemis Maxi Skirt, $178 at Free People
Tie-dye is out in full-force this season, and I’m just doing what I can to shop it.
2. Metallic Leather Pencil Skirt, $370 at Topshop
Because sleek and spring are far from mutually exclusive.
3. Camo Belt Skirt, $68 at Topshop
2018’s camo trend has persisted well into 2019.
4. Satin Skirt, $39.90 at Zara
Is the satin slip skirt the trendiest piece around right now? All signs point to yes.
5. Long Floral Print Skirt, $49.90 at Zara
Leave it to Zara to have us coveting a print midi.
6. Kite Stripe Skirt, $88 at Fashion Bunker
Cute on its own—even cuter in its matching set.
7. Vintage Overdyed Slip Skirt, $39 at Urban Outfitters
A satin skirt so cozy you could probably sleep in it.
8. Lily Linen Button-Front Mini Skirt, $59 at Urban Outfitters
Once the sun is shining on the reg, mini skirts are an absolute must.
9. Snake Satin Bias Midi Skirt, $68 at Topshop
Oh yeah, snakeskin is still very much on the sartorial menu.
10. Belted Print Skirt, $69.90 at Zara
Nothing says spring like a flowy paisley skirt.
11. Dancing Queen Rusty Rose Satin Ruffle Midi Skirt, $46 at Lulus
Everything about this skirt—from the silhouette to the shade—is absolutely striking.
12. Elisa Satin Midi Skirt, $46 at Lulus
A distinctly spring-friendly take on a classic animal print.
13. Animal Jacquard Satin Bias Midi Skirt, $68 at Topshop
Satin is cool. But textured satin is undeniably cooler.
14. Bali High Tea Set, $248 at Free People
Slip into this, and you might just summon warm weather’s arrival.
15. Button-Front Mini Skirt, $49.95 at Anthropologie
I mean, who can resist a button-front mini? Too classic to pass up.
16. Paige Crinkle Ruffle Skirt, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Because we’d be remiss not to include at least one ruffled gingham option in this roundup.
17. Firecracker Bias Midi Skirt, $120 at Anthropologie
Easy to dress up or down depending on the occasion—and the weather.
18. Tie-Dye Skirt, $39.90 at Zara
More marble than tie-dye, but hey—we’ll take it.
19. Suzy Eyelet Ruffle Maxi Skirt, $79 at Urban Outfitters
Nothing says “spring” quite like a white, eyelet maxi skirt.
20. Taffy Smocked Tiered Ruffle Midi Skirt, $29.99 at Urban Outfitters
Smocked, ruffled, covered in gingham—who knew you could fit so much trendiness in a single piece?
21. Lindsey Slit Button-Front Utility Skirt, $29.99 at Urban Outfitters
Because chartreuse anything makes spring feel springier.
22. Kayla Ribbed Lettuce-Edge Midi Skirt, $59 at Urban Outfitters
Lightweight knits are on the menu—how else are you supposed to get through chilly spring days?
23. Raw Denim Midi Skirt, $59.95 at Free People
Denim midis are a spring classic, and this raw-hemmed, ruffled option offers a fresh take on the must-have.
24. Easy Tiger Midi Skirt, $68 at Free People
Because leopard print and snakeskin certainly aren’t the only ways to get your animal print on this spring.
25. Python Pleated Midi Skirt, $75 at Topshop
Told you snakeskin was still trending.
26. Organza Button-Front Midi Skirt, $39.99 at Urban Outfitters
There’s a transparent organza movement happening in spring clothes, and we’re not mad about it.
27. Glen Arbor Skirt, $188 at Free People
Ruffle wrap skirts are the new must-have you didn’t know you needed. Calling it now.
28. Florence Bias Midi Skirt, $59.95 at Anthropologie
Because would this roundup really be complete without at least one floral option?
29. Sarong Wrap Midi Skirt, $79 at & Other Stories
This sarong would feel just as at home in an office as it would by the beach.
30. Ruffled Tie-Dye Skirt, $69.90 at Zara
OK, this looks damn comfy.
31. Split Side Satin Bias Midi Skirt, $55 at Topshop
Once it gets hot out, catch us sporting satin all day, every day.
32. Lolita Set, $148 at Free People
Perfect for pairing with bikinis and flowy long-sleeve tops, alike.
33. Tiger Print Satin Bias Midi Skirt, $68 at Topshop
Not your average take on tiger stripe—and not your average palette for spring.
34. Ella Floral Midi Skirt, $59 at Urban Outfitters
Because even when it’s treacherously cold out, this sunny midi promises to keep a smile on your face.
35. Mesh Skirt, $39.90 at Zara
Fringe is the underrated detail promising to pervade your spring.
36. Pleated Look Striped Skirt, $49.90 at Zara
Warm enough for cold weather. Bright enough for warm weather. What’s not to love?
37. Satin Skirt, $39.90 at Zara
Neon shades are everywhere. Satin textiles are everywhere. It was really only a matter of time before someone combined the two.
38. Lindsey Slit Button-Front Utility Skirt, $29.99 at Urban Outfitters
Give us more bright colors—we want them all.
39. Animal Jacquard Neon Satin Bias Midi Skirt, $68 at Topshop
Um, yes, we’re definitely purchasing this one with the matching top. (That’s a look.)
40. Tiered Tulle Midi Skirt, $60 at Topshop
The easiest way to dress up a semi-boring ensemble: Throw a tulle skirt over it.
41. Marigold Linen Ruffle Midi Skirt, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Quite possibly the most subtle polka dot piece around.
42. Natural Stripe Print Midi Skirt, $56 at ASOS
Pair this with your favorite striped top for some real fun.
43. Cooperative Gingham Side-Pocket Mini Skirt, $49 at Urban Outfitters
Three words: Gingham. Pencil. Skirt.
44. Pistola Baez Chambray Maxi Skirt, $52 at Lulus
Everything about chambray maxis is delightful. Everything.
45. Island Striped Skirt, $149.95 at Anthropologie
Leave it to Anthropologie to craft a spring skirt that screams whimsy.
46. A la Garconne Paneled Midi Skirt, $159 at Farfetch
Give us colorful patchwork anything, and we’ll be on board.
47. Staud Garage Tassel-Trim Stretch-Knit Skirt, $128 at Matches Fashion
A surprisingly edgy addition to any resort wardrobe, this rainbow fringe-lined black maxi is a chic spring must-have.
48. Stradivarius Pleated Snake Print Midi Skirt, $48 at ASOS
More snakeskin, because we told you—snakeskin is happening this season.
49. Etra Abstract Print Wrap Midi Skirt, $343 at Matches Fashion
Because nothing says warm weather like a vibrant wrap skirt.
50. Kendra Snake Print Midi Skirt, $29.99 at Urban Outfitters
Need we justify further?
51. Rhode Resort Sienna Skirt, $315 at Shopbop
Tie-dye has made quite the sartorial comeback in 2019, so expect it to not-so-subtly creep into your spring/summer wardrobe.
52. Ombre Satin Bias-Cut Midi Skirt, $69 at Urban Outfitters
A sleeker take on tie-dye, this ombre satin midi is a spring must-have for anyone with their eye on 2019 trends.
53. Adriana Degreas Pareo Midi Skirt, $170 at Farfetch
Layer this tie-front midi over any spring look for an extra dose of chic style.
54. Stradivarius A-Line Cow Print Skirt, $32 at ASOS
Cow print is the latest trendy animal-inspired pattern to take the zeitgeist by storm.
55. Amanda Uprichard Paulina Slip Skirt, $216 at Revolve
A skirt so pretty you’ll want to wear it every day—and so versatile you might just be able to.
56. All the Ribs Maxi Skirt, $29.95 at Free People
A floor-length knit skirt is the secret to navigating the lingering cool of winter while channeling the vibrant excitement of spring.
57. Fabienne Chapot Moon Print Midi Skirt, $173 at ASOS
Space fashion is happening, and we’re totally here for it.
58. BDG Kennedy Denim Split-Front Midi Skirt, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Because washed-out neon denim is way more fun than regular denim.
59. LPA Skirt 285, $90 at Revolve
Pretty sure there’s no such thing as too many wrap skirts.
60. Vero Moda Textured Check Midi Skirt, $43 at ASOS
A distinctly spring take on the classic plaid skirt.
61. Crinkle Maxi Skirt, $40 at ASOS
Everyone knows warm weather means maxi skirts.
62. Privacy Please Burbank Skirt, $128 at Revolve
Picnic-wear, but make it (mostly) office-appropriate.
63. Pleats Please Issey Miyake High-Waisted Pleated Skirt, $263 at Matches Fashion
Hot pink midis are always worth having around.
64. Young Fabulous & Broke Garland Skirt, $128 at Shopbop
Tie-dye without feeling too DIY.
65. Anaak Devika Button Maxi Skirt, $375 at Matches Fashion
A floor-length gingham skirt, because spring is coming.
66. Coohem Ribbed Knit Skirt, $245 at Farfetch
Colorful knit skirts are absolutely the move during changing seasons.
67. Mara Hoffman Leon Skirt, $325 at Revolve
Nothing makes us feel like spring is here like bright AF colors.
68. I-Am-Chen Striped Knit Midi Skirt, $214 at Farfetch
Eye-catching, cozy and practical—what’s not to love?
69. Framed Candy Crush Midi Skirt, $258 at Farfetch
The perfect skirt to wear anywhere this spring.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in April 2016.