Scroll To See More Images
Maxi dresses are among our favorite kinds of clothing, no matter the time of year. We busted out fall maxi dresses come autumn, winter maxi dresses come the end of the year, and now we’re onto a more conventional iteration of the trend: spring maxi dresses. Because spring is officially here—and nothing promises to keep us looking great and feeling weather-appropriate quite like spring maxi dresses.
Though many of us chalk spring up to be some kind of idyllic, vacation-filled, warm-weather experience, the truth of the season is that it’s all about transition. Things are starting to warm up, but we haven’t hit full heat and humidity yet. This is disappointing, in some ways, as many of us expect to spend all of springtime outdoors, basking in the sunlight in the park, or at the beach, or in some other hot AF location. But it’s also exciting, because we’re not yet forced to deal with the sticky sweat of summer—or the rays beating down on us so strongly that we can’t resist running inside for a breath of fresh AC. Spring is simultaneously invitingly warm and refreshingly breezy; some days, it’s hotter than we’d like, and some days, it’s a bit colder—but usually, it sits in that just-right middle-ground that makes everything in life seem a little easier.
Few items of clothing help us navigate this transitional season as successfully as spring maxi dresses. Because maxi dresses really encompass the best of what spring has to offer: They’re warm enough to keep you from freezing your tail off on a surprisingly low-temp evening, and they’re lightweight enough to feel breathable in even the most oppressive humidity imaginable. Like springtime, spring maxi dresses offer the best of both worlds—and while they’re at it, they’re also damn cute. Not sure what to wear today? Slip on your favorite spring maxi dress, and you’re set—comfy-chic style in no time.
1. Limited Edition Zara Studio Embroidered Dress, $169 at Zara
Zara just released a studio collection full of absolutely dreamy maxi dresses—and we’re eyeing all of them.
2. Aratta Floral Embroidery Maxi Dress, $222 at ASOS
Perfect for everything from brunch to beachside getaways.
3. Snake It Extra Balloon-Sleeve Maxi Dress, $30 at Nasty Gal
Into the snake print trend? Why not wear it all over your body?
4. Aratta Swing Maxi Dress, $206 at ASOS
Spring’s patchwork trend has never looked so good.
5. Roeqiya Havana Night Cover-Up Dress, $138 at Anthropologie
A maxi that’ll render you a walking work of art.
6. Tampa Gauze Tiered Ruffle Maxi Dress, $99 at Urban Outfitters
Dressy enough to make you feel like a princess. Low-key enough to wear on the daily.
7. Limited Edition Zara Studio Embroidered Dress, $169 at Zara
How many Zara maxi dresses is too many Zara maxi dresses? (Obviously not asking for a friend.)
8. Big Love Paisley Maxi Dress, $35 at Nasty Gal
This paisley maxi is all kinds of chic. End even better—it’s budget-friendly.
9. Limited Edition Zara Studio Embroidered Dress, $169 at Zara
Yet another Zara maxi has made its way onto our wishlist.
10. Steal the Spotlight Satin Dress, $40 at Nasty Gal
A maxi that’s totally fit for office-wear.
11. Rococo Sand High-Low Dress, $427 at Revolve
Why not embrace spring’s tie-dye trend from head-to-toe?
12. What You Want Maxi Dress, $198 at Free People
More patchwork—because seriously, we can’t get enough.
13. The Surreal Dreamer Dress, $229 at Free People
Comfort and sex appeal are far from mutually exclusive.
14. Taurus Dress, $373 at Free People
A more structured take on the classic maxi—in case you’re not a huge fan of flowy silhouettes.
15. Ryse Ashley Coral Lace Maxi Dress, $168 at Lulus
Perfect for date night, outdoor weddings and fancy beachside dinners.
16. Acadiana Satin Long-Sleeve Maxi Dress, $44 at Lulus
I own this maxi (in royal blue), and it’s so comfy I could basically live in it. (It’s also not quite as lightweight as it appears—making it a great candidate for chilly spring days.)
17. PrettyLittleThing Button-Down Maxi Shirtdress, $48 at ASOS
Long-sleeve maxi dresses are officially the move this spring.
18. Dress with Pockets, $39.90 at Zara
Love a good T-shirt dress—especially one with ever-so-unexpected detailing.
19. Angel Maxi Dress, $621 at Free People
Perfect for dressing up or down as you see fit—also versatile enough to work during any season.
20. Billowy Prairie Maxi Dress, $125 at & Other Stories
A (slightly) minimalist take on the prairie dress movement.
21. Laguna Search Maxi Tee, $148 at Free People
Can’t make it to the beach? Throw this on and experience the vicarious vacation of your wildest dreams.
22. Lovi Dress, $389 at Free People
Fit for any occasion.
23. On the Road Temptress Maxi Dress, $106 at Lulus
Genuinely obsessed with these bright colors and this stunning print.
24. Tall Knot-Front Maxi Dress, $87 at ASOS
Because nothing says springy like a bright spring-green punctuated with white polka dots.
25. Print Dress, $69.90 at Zara
Your favorite shift dress got the maxi treatment.
26. So Fancy Maxi Dress, $228 at Free People
A classic spring silhouette—sure to play well with combat boots and sandals, alike.
27. French Connection Mix Print Fluid Dress, $111 at ASOS
The short underskirt keeps things feeling spring-friendly, while the longer overskirt is sure to keep you warm no matter how chilly the season’s nights get.
28. Mara Hoffman Seraphina Slip Dress, $550 at Anthropologie
Even the ever-trendy slip dress has been rendered with a maxi hemline.
29. Sheer Velvet Maxi Dress, $149 at & Other Stories
Velvet-and-sheer fabric captures the cool-to-warm transition spring is all about.
30. I Am Lola Embroidered Maxi Dress, $480 at Free People
Obsessed with this, and quite confident you could wear it anywhere.
31. Lace-Up Maxi Dress, $128 at Anthropologie
A maxi you can throw under a cardigan now—and layer over a swimsuit later.
32. Sunflower Maxi Dress, $98 at Free People
The epitome of chic comfort.
33. Textured Weave Dress, $39.90 at Zara
Crochet is coming in hot this spring—and we’re ready for it.
34. Tea Gardens Satin Maxi Dress, $76 at Lulus
Lightweight textiles with floor-length hemlines—that’s the motto.
35. Anita Midaxi Dress, $98 at Free People
Long enough to be considered a maxi. Short enough to still feel like spring.
36. Swept Away Long-Sleeve Maxi Dress, $66 at Lulus
So sexy you’ll be looking for excuses to wear it.
37. Natalie Martin Heather Maxi Dress, $198 at Anthropologie
A ’70s print in a ’90s silhouette—yes, yes and more yes.
38. Baguy Sequin Maxi Dress, $334 at Free People
Sequins are totally on the sartorial menu.
39. Lost in Paradise Maxi Dress, $59 at Lulus
A classic silhouette in a classic color—if you don’t already own this (or something like it), it’s probably time to stock up.
40. Lost Ink Maxi Smock Dress, $95 at ASOS
Prairie dress without feeling too prairie dress, this maxi is ready to fill a niche in a not-so-expected way.
41. Ghospell Maxi Shirtdress, $89 at ASOS
Snakeskin is having a moment—and this snakeskin print maxi is a seriously delightful iteration of it.
42. Floaty Square-Neck Maxi Dress, $67 at ASOS
Edgy enough to pair with your black cold-weather accessories—and bright enough to pair with your lighter, spring-facing ones.
43. Moon Walkin’ Maxi Dress, $98 at Free People
All but guaranteed to make you happier the moment you slip it on.
44. Tie-Dye Tunic, $49.90 at Zara
Tie-dye promises to be everywhere this spring, and we’re shopping it in every format possible.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in March 2019.