Scroll To See More Images
As we freshen up our wardrobes, weeding out winter go-tos in favor of spring-facing favorites, it behooves us to stock up on every basic we can imagine needing in the coming months. Sundresses, sandals and swimsuits are on the menu. And even more practical pieces, like spring coats and spring jackets, are, too. But one oft-overlooked basic we mustn’t forget? Spring going-out tops.
Each time we load up our closets with necessities, we imagine our day-to-day routines. I mentally walk through my calendar, accounting for the spring clothes I’ll wear to the office, the pieces I’ll take on an upcoming beach getaway, and even the cocktail dress or two I’ll keep around in case a fancy event makes it onto my radar. This exercise relies on consistency, failing to account for more spontaneous excursions—the kinds of things that would never make it on your calendar in the first place, like a night at the bar, or the club, or some party. It’s never until these occasions arise that I realize I have nothing to wear to them. And this isn’t one of those hackneyed closet-full-of-clothes-but-nothing-to-wear situations—I literally have no tops fit for nights out, and I’m left haphazardly combining pieces until I’ve created something that remotely resembles a going-out look.
By this point, I’ve been burned too many times to keep at this, so I’ve built going-out tops into my seasonal shopping routine. Now, after I’ve made sure all my daily must-haves are accounted for, I dive right into nightly must-haves too—and as someone who just did the damn thing, I can honestly say, there are all kinds of incredible spring going-out tops worth shopping as soon as you get the chance.
1. Crop Ruffle Cami, $32 at ASOS
Whoever said frills couldn’t be made bar-appropriate was seriously misinformed.
2. Sweater-Knit Cropped Tube Top, $14.90 at Forever 21
I’m skeptical of all the early aughts pieces making a comeback, but this one feels particularly wearable.
3. For Love and Lemons Rosette Lace Top, $136 at Urban Outfitters
Because camis are more fun when they’re transparent and covered in flowers.
4. Times Chain Tie Top, $22 at Nasty Gal
Last year’s scarf print trend is still trickling into 2019.
5. Shirred Halter Top, $19 at ASOS
Quite possibly the best application of the smocked trend to date.
6. Raquel Allegra Muscle Tee, $220 at Revolve
Tie-dye that feels distinctly going-out-worthy.
7. Satin Leopard Print Bodysuit, $19.90 at Forever 21
Because leopard print bodysuits always deserve a place on the sartorial menu.
8. Crochet Pointelle Halter Crop Top, $14.90 at Forever 21
Crochet promises to be huge this season, and yes, going-out iterations are available.
9. Privacy Please Lara Bodysuit, $98 at Revolve
A lower-key way to embrace the enduring off-the-shoulder trend.
10. Black Satin Tie-Front Cami, $38 at Topshop
The new bralette. (And it’s satin!!)
11. Stretch Mesh Floral Tee, $29 at & Other Stories
When it gets too hot for real clothes, transparent tops are your going-out bread and butter.
12. House of Harlow 1960 x Revolve Jonah Top, $98 at Revolve
Spring florals, made appropriate for your going-out routine.
13. Kiss Me Lace Cami Top, $20 at Nasty Gal
A little satin, a little lace—a lot of cute.
14. In Floods of Tiers Snake Blouse, $22 at Nasty Gal
This blouse is basically the clothing equivalent of a power move.
15. NBD Sunrise Fringe Top, $148 at Revolve
16. Ribbed Twist-Front Cami, $18 at Forever 21
Sure to play well with any bottoms in your going-out rotation.
17. Flocked Velvet Tie-Front Top, $25 at Nasty Gal
Velvet, rendered spring-friendly.
18. Lovers + Friends Merritt Top, $88 at Revolve
Definitely buying this one with the matching midi.
19. We the Free Anytime Tank, $48 at Free People
Because spring is basically one extended excuse to wear tank tops everywhere. Even to The Club.
20. All Things Mochi Lana Wrap Top, $260 at Revolve
The perfect statement piece to add to your night-out wardrobe.
21. Ring Detail Cami Bodysuit, $32 at ASOS
Cami bodysuits are always a good idea.
22. Striped Tie-Front Sweater, $22.90 at Forever 21
Proof striped sweaters can be seriously hot.
23. Wrapped Up Crop Top, $10 at Nasty Gal
In case you’re tired of the classic cami, halter top, deep-V rotation.
24. House of Harlow 1960 x Revolve Amelia Top, $138 at Revolve
A night-out top fit for festival season.
25. Frill Detail Cutout Body, $18 at Nasty Gal
The cutest-damn bodysuit I’ve laid eyes on in a while.
26. Slinky Slinky Tank, $20 at Free People
A no-fail addition to any wardrobe.
27. Privacy Please Clover Top, $78 at Revolve
Veritably cute—and low-key sexy enough to wear this Saturday.
28. Cowl You Doing Top, $15 at Nasty Gal
The silky slip dress trend has infiltrated tops, too.
29. AMUR Marty Bustier, $248 at Revolve
Cool enough to pair with statement pants and wear on the daily.
30. Our Story Halter Top, $98 at Free People
You could throw this on with leggings and still look bar-appropriate.
31. Truly Madly Deeply V-Neck Babydoll Tee, $34 at Urban Outfitters
Because when life gives you the opportunity to wear a straight-up T-shirt to a bar, you take advantage.
32. HBD Bodysuit, $68 at Free People
The slip dress isn’t the only silky little number making a comeback this year.
33. Textured Weave Mesh Top, $29.90 at Zara
Transparent tops are the hottest way to keep yourself from overheating this spring.
34. Curve Long-Sleeve Twist-Front Snake-Print Top, $51 at ASOS
Snakeskin is in full-force this season—stock up.
35. Border Babe Bodysuit, $58 at Free People
Last year’s scarf print trend just got a bar-worthy makeover.
36. Ribbed One-Shoulder Tank Top, $29 at Urban Outfitters
Just a touch more interesting than your go-to tank top.
37. True Lies Mock Neck Bodysuit, $68 at Free People
More transparent tops—because our lives are better with them in it.
38. Flirt Factor Off-the-Shoulder Top, $26 at Lulus
The off-the-shoulder movement is still going strong—and it’s ready to keep you appropriately warm (and cool) this spring.
39. Debbie Square-Neck Cami, $19.99 at Urban Outfitters
A going-out top you can layer over a tee for day-to-day wear? Yes, please.
40. Live It Up Lace Bodysuit, $58 at Free People
Lingerie that’s socially acceptable to wear outside.
41. All in Good Fun Off-the-Shoulder Top, $44 at Lulus
Breezy enough to keep you from overheating. Cozy enough to keep you from freezing.
42. For You Only Cami, $58 at Free People
A cami that practically demands for you to go braless. Free the nipple, babe.
43. TTYL Tube, $48 at Free People
The aughts called—they want you to cherish this tube top.
44. Out from Under Raine Ruched Mesh Bodysuit, $44 at Urban Outfitters
A night-out-appropriate way to get your spring florals on.
45. Feels Right Bodysuit, $40 at Free People
This bodysuit looks cozy enough to sleep in.
46. Out from Under Striped Seamless Bodysuit, $19.99 at Urban Outfitters
This bodysuit will take you from day to night—and then back to day again.
47. Lace Camisole Top, $35 at Topshop
Undoubtedly the sexiest satin cami on the market right now. (Seriously, I’ve shopped them all.)
48. Out from Under Rylee Surplice Halter Bodysuit, $34.99 at Urban Outfitters
49. Project Social T Bailey Wrap Tee, $19.99 at Urban Outfitters
A good go-to to have for lower-key night-out occasions.
50. Moon River Blouson Cropped Tank Top, $34 at Lulus
Cropped, ruffled, peplumed—a win on all fronts.
51. Bridget Bodysuit, $48 at Free People
Can you tell I’m a sucker for any and all things halter?
52. Out from Under Sandy Off-the-Shoulder Top, $29 at Urban Outfitters
This off-the-shoulder sweater will keep you cozy on spring’s chilliest nights—without making you feel like it’s still winter. (Lavender is a distinctly spring shade, y’all.)
53. Cowl-Neck Satin Cami, $29 at ASOS
Yet another satin cami, because they’re seriously happening right now.
54. Chelsea Bodysuit, $58 at Free People
Just be sure to stock up on fashion tape.
55. Racer-Back Silk Cami, $158-168 at Anthropologie
There are so many silky camis on offer it’s practically impossible not to find one that meets your needs.
56. Slay It With Me Off-the-Shoulder Bodysuit, $34 at Lulus
Part V-neck, part off-the-shoulder, part cami—in case you were struggling to figure out which neckline to wear tonight.
57. Out from Under Lots of Lace Bodysuit, $49 at Urban Outfitters
Sure to play well with anything in your closet—but also fares wonderfully on its own.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in March 2019.