Scroll To See More Images
Spring doesn’t really feel like spring until the sun is routinely shining, the flowers have begun to bloom and the fashion set has stocked up on a new collection of spring dresses. Say what you will, but the season isn’t in full swing until the sartorial equinox has hit. If models, influencers and regular folks, alike, aren’t regularly outfitted in breezy maxis, floral minis and sundresses in every shade of the rainbow, spring isn’t real. And since we’re all thoroughly done with winter, the more spring pieces we can stock up on now, the better—right?
Retailers’ selections of spring dresses are always immense and exciting. No season feels fresher—or more necessary—than spring, leaving the style-scape filled with bright colors, bold prints and innovative silhouettes. This season, expect to see spring dresses decorated with ruffles (a veritable 2019 trend) and covered in crochet details (another one). Some of 2018’s most delightful fads—puffy sleeves, smocked bodices, tropical prints and vibrant snakeskins—have trickled into the zeitgeist as well, getting new life in a new year.
Other spring/summer dress trends to watch? Gingham, which has long been a favorite in the calendar’s warmest months. Organza, which is taking the historically controversial “naked dress” to new levels of transparency. And silky slips, an early aughts favorite that’s experienced quite the resurrection thus far in 2019. Combined, these trends have created a spring dress landscape that feels both classically cute and contemporary chic—and really, what more could any of us ask for?
1. House of Holland Extreme Frill Dress, $624 at ASOS
Undoubtedly the most eye-catching way to tackle 2019’s ruffle trend.
2. Tiered Puff-Sleeve Maxi Dress, $56 at ASOS
A maxi so cute you’ll want to live in it this season.
3. Asymmetrical Shirtdress, $69 at & Other Stories
A spring dress that’ll render you a walking work of art.
4. Antibes Gingham Puff-Sleeve Midi Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
It’s hard to imagine anything more fun that a hot pink, puff-sleeve, drop-waist gingham midi.
5. Colorblock Nylon Half-Zip Mini Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Part mini dress, part windbreaker—all cute.
6. Innika Choo Tiered Gingham Avens Dress, $380 at Madewell
This dress is practically begging to be Instagrammed.
7. Drop-Waist Smock Dress, $119 at ASOS
If you’ve ever dreamt of living in your windbreaker, now you can.
8. Ryse Coral Lace Maxi Dress, $168 at Lulus
Perfect for any semi-fancy occasion on your spring calendar.
9. Pleated Dress, $119 at Zara
A spring dress that’ll take you from the office to happy hour—and back again.
10. Gingham Ruffle Wrap Dress, $48 at Topshop
Gingham, ruffles—what’s not to love?
11. Billowy Prairie Maxi Dress, $125 at & Other Stories
An ever-so-slightly fashion-forward take on the classic prairie dress.
12. Satin Dress, $49.90 at Zara
A silky slip dress with enough sleeve to keep you comfortable.
13. What You Want Maxi Dress, $198 at Free People
Because patchwork is oh-so trendy this spring, and this maxi makes the most of it.
14. Pointelle Dress, $29.90 at Zara
This crochet dress will make you feel like you’re at the beach—even if you’re seriously far from it.
15. Ribbed Dress, $39.90 at Zara
A spring-facing dress that’s cozy enough for the season’s chilliest days.
16. Textured Weave Dress, $25.90 at Zara
Flowers or polka dots? We’re not sure, but we do know they’re cute.
17. Fringe Knit Tunic Dress, $170 at Topshop
Almost aggressively edgy for spring, but with a little colorful statement jewelry, it could feel season-appropriate in no time.
18. Faithful del Mar Mini Dress, $159 at Anthropologie
Once it gets seriously hot out, you’ll probably want to live in this.
19. Organza Puff-Sleeve Cinched-Waist Midi Dress, $89 at Urban Outfitters
Hard to argue with a puff-sleeve pink dress for spring.
20. Acadiana Long-Sleeve Maxi Dress, $59 at Lulus
I own this, and it’s exactly as luxe in person as it looks online. (It’s actually heavier than it looks, too, making it a perfect piece for season-to-season transitions.)
21. Iva Biigdres Midi Dress, $375 at Free People
This dress was made for field-frolicking.
22. Rainbow Organza Puff-Sleeve Midi Dress, $99 at Urban Outfitters
Spring’s tie-dye trend meets its organza naked dress trend—and the combination works surprisingly well.
23. Twisted Shine Dress, $160 at Anthropologie
Because you know you needed a go-to office dress (and this one’s shiny!).
24. Tie-Dye Dress, $49.90 at Zara
A tie-dye slip dress? How on-trend.
25. Textured Gathered-Neck Dress, $135 at ASOS
Catch us sporting this one all day, every day.
26. Limited Edition Draped Print Dress, $89.90 at Zara
Perhaps the most fashion-forward way to get your floral on this spring.
27. Melanie Linen Babydoll Midi Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Because everyone needs a go-to linen midi.
28. Striped Dress, $39.90 at Zara
A lower-key take on ruffles—and a higher-key take on prints.
29. Textured Weave Dress, $89.90 at Zara
A dress that’ll mentally transport you to the beach every time you slip it on.
30. JDY Denim Shirtdress, $51 at ASOS
Hot AF—in the most casual way possible.
31. Reclaimed Vintage Inspired Dress, $61 at ASOS
A floral dress that feels surprisingly fresh (and not at all hackneyed).
32. Belted Floral Midi Dress, $89 at & Other Stories
A shoo-in for understatedly stylish wedding guest dress of the year.
33. The Column Dress, $224 at Anthropologie
The styling options for this one are endless.
34. Waist-Defined Button-Front Midi Dress, $44.99 at Old Navy
A spring midi you’ll be sporting for years to come.
35. Este Sheer Organza Puff-Sleeve Midi Dress, $129 at Urban Outfitters
A naked dress you could style over bike shorts, bodysuits or other dresses in your closet.
36. Dress with Sleeve Detail, $39.90 at Zara
A no-fail addition to any closet—perfect for cocktail parties and beach vacations, alike.
37. The Surreal Dreamer Dress, $229 at Free People
Sexy is totally on the sartorial menu.
38. Cozy Sweater Midi Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Spring can get chilly—it pays to have a vibrant sweater dress on hand.
39. So Fancy Maxi Dress, $228 at Free People
If you don’t already have an idyllic getaway planned, this dress might just inspire you to get one on the books.
40. Snuggle Party Midi Sweater Dress, $59 at Lulus
Another totally spring-friendly sweater dress, because seriously—spring isn’t all heat and humidity.
41. Show Me Your Mumu Gabriela Tiered Ruffle Mini Dress, $168 at Urban Outfitters
Another iteration of spring’s major ruffles trend.
42. Ghospell Maxi Shirtdress, $119 at ASOS
Told you saturated snakeskin was out in full force.
43. Moon Walkin’ Maxi Dress, $98 at Free People
So cozy you might be tempted to nap in it.
44. Music City Gingham Tie-Front Dress, $46 at Lulus
45. Madewell x Karen Walker Denim Off-the-Shoulder Dress, $79.99 at Madewell
The off-the-shoulder trend is really only made better by denim.
46. Button-Through Midi Smock Sundress, $45 at ASOS
Not your average pinstripe sundress.
47. Textured Dress, $29.90 at Zara
A knit dress that’s clearly lightweight enough to handle spring heat.
48. Fremont Smocked Contrast Stitch Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Hard to resist two of our favorite trends—smocked cuts and gingham textiles—in one.
49. Embroidered Fable Midi Dress, $168 at Free People
This midi wants to accompany you everywhere this spring.
50. Aranciata Wrap Dress, $200 at Anthropologie
All kinds of fun.
51. Sheer Organza Midi Dress, $69.99 at Urban Outfitters
OK, we’re definitely pairing this one with bike shorts.
52. Jacqueline Belted Dress, $140 at Anthropologie
Because you definitely don’t have to wait until Memorial Day to wear white.
53. Floral Printed Skater Dress, $89 at & Other Stories
Buying this, and styling it exactly like so.
54. Short Tunic Dress, $49.90 at Zara
A no-fail, office-appropriate silhouette for spring.
55. Bias Slip Dress, $120 at Anthropologie
Date night awaits.
56. Two-Tone Striped Dress, $39.90 at Zara
A casual dress versatile enough to wear every day—and style differently every time.
57. Button-Front Cord Jumper, $39.95 at Free People
A jumper you could get away with wearing on its own—or layering over your favorite blouse.
58. Natalie Martin Heather Maxi Dress, $198 at Anthropologie
A vicarious trip to the beach—in the ’70s.
59. River Island Snake-Print Bodycon Dress, $60 at ASOS
Spring’s snakeskin trend in its hottest iteration.
60. Cloth & Stone Riley Striped Shirtdress, $150 at Anthropologie
A silhouette worth having on hand.
61. Printed Midi Slip Dress, $99 at & Other Stories
Haven’t you heard? Fruit’s the new floral.
62. Cloth & Stone Marlow Wrap Dress, $140 at Anthropologie
63. Lovi Dress, $389 at Free People
A dress cozy—and versatile—enough to take you anywhere this spring.
64. Amuse Society Julita Mini Dress, $54 at Lulus
Perhaps the most seasonally appropriate mini on the market right now.
65. Cali Sheer Organza Mini Dress, $79 at Urban Outfitters
A not-so-naked take on spring organza.
66. Angel Maxi Dress, $621 at Free People
A maxi with near-unlimited styling potential—dress up or down as you see fit.
67. Button-Front Easy Dress, $118 at Madewell
We never met a button-front dress we didn’t like.
68. Satin Cowl-Back Slip Dress, $68 at Topshop
A classic aught silhouette—crafted with 2019 in mind.
69. Lena Gingham Puff-Sleeve Mini Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
The more puff-sleeve gingham we can get our hands on, the better.
70. Out from Under Mara Smocked Slip, $49 at Urban Outfitters
A dress that’ll take you from the pool to dinner—and everywhere in between.
71. Striped Knit Dress, $49.90 at Zara
Because you need something to wear to the beachside bar.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in April 2014.