Scroll To See More Images
Spring doesn’t really feel like spring until the sun is routinely shining, the flowers have begun to bloom and the fashion set has stocked up on a new collection of spring dresses. Say what you will, but the season isn’t in full swing until the sartorial equinox has hit. If models, influencers and regular folks, alike, aren’t regularly outfitted in breezy maxis, floral minis and sundresses in every shade of the rainbow, spring isn’t real. And since we’re all thoroughly done with winter, the more spring pieces we can stock up on now, the better—right?
Retailers’ selections of spring dresses are always immense and exciting. No season feels fresher—or more necessary—than spring, leaving the style-scape filled with bright colors, bold prints and innovative silhouettes. This season, expect to see spring dresses decorated with ruffles (a veritable 2019 trend) and covered in crochet details (another one). Some of 2018’s most delightful fads—puffy sleeves, smocked bodices, tropical prints and vibrant snakeskins—have trickled into the zeitgeist as well, getting new life in a new year.
Other spring/summer dress trends to watch? Gingham, which has long been a favorite in the calendar’s warmest months. Organza, which is taking the historically controversial “naked dress” to new levels of transparency. And silky slips, an early aughts favorite that’s experienced quite the resurrection thus far in 2019. Combined, these trends have created a spring dress landscape that feels both classically cute and contemporary chic—and really, what more could any of us ask for?
1. Lisa Says Gah Topanga Puff-Sleeve Midi Dress, $180 at Urban Outfitters
Nothing says spring like a puff-sleeve gingham sundress.
2. Tampa Gauze Tiered Ruffle Maxi Dress, $99 at Urban Outfitters
A statement piece that combines so many of 2019’s favorite trends—ruffles, sheer fabrics, smocked details—at once.
3. Like a Lady Mini Dress, $58 at Free People
Rendered in such a stunning shade you might be energized just looking at it.
4. Rita Row Sarah Off-the-Shoulder Midi Dress, $199 at Urban Outfitters
Try to tell us the texture on this dress doesn’t look totally covetable. Just try.
5. Neon Rose Tie-Front Celestial Midi Dress, $60 at ASOS
Celestial fashion is everywhere this year, and it’s proving to be a fun alternative to spring florals.
6. Ruffled Dress, $29.90 at Zara
The perfect go-to for days when you want to look cute at the office but don’t want to try that hard.
7. Gala Cinched Side Cutout Maxi Dress, $79 at Urban Outfitters
A distinctly fresh take on the spring maxi.
8. Dress with Front Print, $29.90 at Zara
A T-shirt dress that won’t make you look lazy.
9. Selita Dress, $398 at Free People
Perfect for everything from brunch to date night, this dress is all kinds of versatile.
10. Slip Dress, $49.90 at Zara
The ’90s called—and they want you to enjoy every contemporary take on their classic silky slip dress.
11. Perseverance London Ottoman Puff-Sleeve Mini Dress, $305 at Urban Outfitters
The Wizard of Oz meets 2019 high fashion.
12. Diamond Dolls Sundress, $165 at Free People
The perfect low-key dress for tossing over a swimsuit—or throwing on when you have to run errands.
13. Striped Dress with Pocket, $69.90 at Zara
Come spring, shirtdresses are always a good idea.
14. Selina Dress, $290 at Free People
Because slinky isn’t the only way to do satin.
15. Tie-Dye Shirt, $69.90 at Zara
Spring’s tie-dye trend is officially in full force, and we’re shopping every possible iteration.
16. Elati Ruffled Off-the-Shoulder Bodycon Dress, $60 at Lulus
You had us at off-the-shoulder. And at smocked bodycon. And at frills.
17. Tularosa Carter Dress, $268 at Revolve
Who said spring dresses had to be colorful?
18. Block Color Slip Dress, $49.90 at Zara
A particularly elevated take on the endlessly trendy slip dress.
19. BDG Matilda Denim Button-Down Midi Dress, $79 at Urban Outfitters
Denim dresses are too damn fun (and comfortable) to pass up.
20. Karla Dress, $35 at Brandy Melville
Bring on the gingham.
21. Snake It Extra Balloon-Sleeve Maxi Dress, $30 at Nasty Gal
2018’s snake print invasion has made its way into 2019, and since it’s resulting in maxi dresses this stunning, we can’t say we’re angry about it.
22. Don’t Worry Be Strappy Satin Dress, $35 at Nasty Gal
In case you prefer your slip dresses with a little more structure.
23. Swing By Gingham Mini Dress, $30 at Nasty Gal
Swing dresses are pretty much always worth having on hand.
24. Basel Sheer Mesh Bodycon Mini Dress, $39.99 at Urban Outfitters
Sheer pieces are having a serious moment.
25. Lola Y-Neck Sweater Dress, $59 at Urban Outfitters
This feels reminiscent of so many decades we don’t even know where to place it.
26. Gingham the Goods Shirred Midi Dress, $40 at Nasty Gal
If you’re gonna go gingham, you might as well go full skirt, puff-sleeve, bright pink gingham—right?
27. Pleated Dress, $69.90 at Zara
Perfect for job interviews and spring weddings, alike.
28. Long Printed Dress, $39.90 at Zara
An edgier option for the fashion fiend who’s overdosed on spring florals.
29. Vestido Ipanema Dress, $478 at Free People
Every maximalist you know just bookmarked this.
30. Smocked Tube Dress, $42 at Forever 21
Smocked anything and everything—we can’t get enough.
31. Seam Detail Dress, $29.90 at Zara
A sweater dress that actually feels spring-appropriate.
32. Katrina Eyelet Tiered Ruffle Mini Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Super-long shirt, or super-short dress? It’s so cute the answer doesn’t really matter.
33. In the Moment Dress, $98 at Free People
Achieve low-maintenance chic style in seconds by slipping into this flowy piece.
34. Big Love Paisley Maxi Dress, $35 at Nasty Gal
Genuinely obsessed with this sleek—and affordable—maxi.
35. Gingham Seersucker Mini Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Two words: Gingham. Seersucker.
36. Pleated Floral Print Dress, $69.90 at Zara
Would it really be a spring dress roundup if we didn’t include at least one floral option?
37. Fringed Dress, $29.90 at Zara
When are LBDs not on the sartorial menu?
38. Wren Linen Ruffle Mini Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
A quintessential spring mini.
39. Another Classic Midi Dress, $30 at Nasty Gal
Also available in a vibrant AF aqua—in case millennial pink isn’t really your style.
40. Aratta Swing Maxi Dress, $206 at ASOS
Patchwork promises to be big this spring, and this maxi makes the most of the maximalist movement.
41. Cohen Checkered Cinch-Front Midi Dress, $79 at Urban Outfitters
Not your average gingham spring dress.
42. Porto One-Shoulder Cutout Midi Dress, $89 at Urban Outfitters
A spring dress that feels anything but basic.
43. Tie-Dye Dress, $29.90 at Zara
More tie-dye, because it’s happening—and Zara has stocked up accordingly.
44. Finders Keepers Evie Dress, $160 at Fashion Bunker
A particularly understated take on the whole spring floral thing.
45. Printed Tunic with Pockets, $89.90 at Zara
The ultimate chic office piece.
46. Dot If I Can Help It Spotty Shirred Dress, $30 at Nasty Gal
This one looks crazy comfortable.
47. Lingerie Style Print Dress, $69.90 at Zara
Love paisley anything—especially in the spring.
48. C/MEO Collective Elate Long-Sleeve Dress, $180 at Fashion Bunker
Because off-the-shoulder necklines and statement sleeves aren’t at all mutually exclusive.
49. Printed Dress with Straps, $29.90 at Zara
A slinkier alternative to the T-shirt dress? The tank top dress.
50. Crocheted Dress, $69.90 at Zara
Catch us in all-crochet-everything this spring.
51. Carousel Asymmetrical Frock Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
A particularly fun take on spring plaids.
52. Tiered Puff-Sleeve Maxi Dress, $56 at ASOS
A maxi so cute you’ll want to live in it this season.
53. Asymmetrical Shirtdress, $69 at & Other Stories
A spring dress that’ll render you a walking work of art.
54. Antibes Gingham Puff-Sleeve Midi Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
It’s hard to imagine anything more fun that a hot pink, puff-sleeve, drop-waist gingham midi. (A mouthful—but hey, it’s cute.)
55. Colorblock Nylon Half-Zip Mini Dress, $34.99 at Urban Outfitters
Part mini dress, part rain jacket—all adorable.
56. Drop-Waist Smock Dress, $119 at ASOS
If you’ve ever dreamt of living in your windbreaker, now you can.
57. Ryse Coral Lace Maxi Dress, $168 at Lulus
Perfect for any semi-fancy occasion on your spring calendar.
58. Pleated Dress, $119 at Zara
A spring dress that’ll take you from the office to happy hour—and back again.
59. Billowy Prairie Maxi Dress, $125 at & Other Stories
An ever-so-slightly fashion-forward take on the classic prairie dress.
60. Satin Dress, $49.90 at Zara
A silky slip dress with enough sleeve to keep you comfortable.
61. What You Want Maxi Dress, $198 at Free People
Yet another maximalist patchwork maxi. Because we can’t get enough.
62. Pointelle Dress, $29.90 at Zara
This crochet dress will make you feel like you’re at the beach—even if you’re seriously far from it.
63. Organza Puff-Sleeve Cinched-Waist Midi Dress, $44.99 at Urban Outfitters
Hard to argue with a puff-sleeve pink dress for spring.
64. Acadiana Long-Sleeve Maxi Dress, $59 at Lulus
I own this, and it’s exactly as luxe in person as it looks online. (It’s actually heavier than it looks, too, making it a perfect piece for season-to-season transitions.)
65. Iva Biigdres Midi Dress, $375 at Free People
This dress was made for field-frolicking.
66. Rainbow Organza Puff-Sleeve Midi Dress, $44.99 at Urban Outfitters
Spring’s tie-dye trend meets its organza naked dress trend—and the combination works surprisingly well.
67. Tie-Dye Dress, $49.90 at Zara
A tie-dye slip dress? How on-trend.
68. Textured Gathered-Neck Dress, $135 at ASOS
Catch us sporting this one all day, every day.
69. Textured Weave Dress, $89.90 at Zara
A dress that’ll mentally transport you to the beach every time you slip it on.
70. JDY Denim Shirtdress, $51 at ASOS
Hot AF—in the most casual way possible.
71. Reclaimed Vintage Inspired Dress, $61 at ASOS
A floral dress that feels surprisingly fresh (and not at all hackneyed).
72. Belted Floral Midi Dress, $89 at & Other Stories
A shoo-in for understatedly stylish wedding guest dress of the year.
73. Este Sheer Organza Puff-Sleeve Midi Dress, $129 at Urban Outfitters
A naked dress you could style over bike shorts, bodysuits or other dresses in your closet.
74. Dress with Sleeve Detail, $39.90 at Zara
A no-fail addition to any closet—perfect for cocktail parties and beach vacations, alike.
75. The Surreal Dreamer Dress, $229 at Free People
Sexy is totally on the sartorial menu.
76. Cozy Sweater Midi Dress, $34.99 at Urban Outfitters
Spring can get chilly—it pays to have a vibrant sweater dress on hand.
77. So Fancy Maxi Dress, $228 at Free People
If you don’t already have an idyllic getaway planned, this dress might just inspire you to get one on the books.
78. Snuggle Party Midi Sweater Dress, $59 at Lulus
Another totally spring-friendly sweater dress, because seriously—spring isn’t all heat and humidity.
79. Show Me Your Mumu Gabriela Tiered Ruffle Mini Dress, $168 at Urban Outfitters
Another iteration of spring’s major ruffles trend.
80. Ghospell Maxi Shirtdress, $89 at ASOS
Told you saturated snakeskin was out in full force.
81. Moon Walkin’ Maxi Dress, $98 at Free People
So cozy you might be tempted to nap in it.
82. Music City Gingham Tie-Front Dress, $46 at Lulus
83. Madewell x Karen Walker Denim Off-the-Shoulder Dress, $79.99 at Madewell
The off-the-shoulder trend is really only made better by denim.
84. Textured Dress, $29.90 at Zara
A knit dress that’s clearly lightweight enough to handle spring heat.
85. Fremont Smocked Contrast Stitch Dress, $59.99 at Urban Outfitters
Hard to resist two of our favorite trends—smocked cuts and gingham textiles—in one.
86. Embroidered Fable Midi Dress, $168 at Free People
This midi wants to accompany you everywhere this spring.
87. Aranciata Wrap Dress, $200 at Anthropologie
All kinds of fun.
88. Sheer Organza Midi Dress, $69.99 at Urban Outfitters
OK, we’re definitely pairing this one with bike shorts.
89. Floral Printed Skater Dress, $89 at & Other Stories
Buying this, and styling it exactly like so.
90. Short Tunic Dress, $49.90 at Zara
A no-fail, office-appropriate silhouette for spring.
91. River Island Snake-Print Bodycon Dress, $45 at ASOS
Spring’s snakeskin trend in its hottest iteration.
92. Lovi Dress, $389 at Free People
A dress cozy—and versatile—enough to take you anywhere this spring.
93. Amuse Society Julita Mini Dress, $54 at Lulus
Perhaps the most seasonally appropriate mini on the market right now.
94. Cali Sheer Organza Mini Dress, $39.99 at Urban Outfitters
A not-so-naked take on spring organza.
95. Angel Maxi Dress, $621 at Free People
A maxi with near-unlimited styling potential—dress up or down as you see fit.
96. Button-Front Easy Dress, $118 at Madewell
We never met a button-front dress we didn’t like.
97. Lena Gingham Puff-Sleeve Mini Dress, $59.99 at Urban Outfitters
The more puff-sleeve gingham we can get our hands on, the better.
98. Out from Under Mara Smocked Slip, $49 at Urban Outfitters
A dress that’ll take you from the pool to dinner—and everywhere in between.
99. Striped Knit Dress, $49.90 at Zara
Because you need something to wear to the beachside bar.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in April 2014.