Scroll To See More Images
April is here! Which is simultaneously exciting and upsetting. Exciting, because it means spring is basically here. Upsetting, because it clearly doesn’t—it snowed in New York this weekend, leaving my April duds skewing more puffer coat than sundress. In times like these, it’s crucial to flesh out our wardrobes with items that delight as much as they serve. Coats, jackets and pants are all on the sartorial menu, because they have to be. So the least we can do is shop spring coats, spring jackets and spring pants—you know, pieces that actually feel spring-worthy despite being totally transitional weather-friendly.
Spring is a weird season for outerwear, because it doesn’t feel like there should be any outerwear involved. Spring means sunny days spent at the park, weekend getaways to the beach, spring breaks, spring flings, spring formals and any other warm-weather activity you can think of. When we think of spring clothes, we call to mind woven wedges, breezy dresses and slinky mini skirts; outerwear doesn’t enter the picture, because it’s been way too involved in the picture for the last five months. Aren’t we done with coats and jackets and cardigans and sweaters already? Damn.
But the truth—whether or not we choose to accept it—is that spring is a fairly chilly season. Every year, long after the technical equinox strikes, lower temperatures manage to pervade (or more precisely, invade) our lives for weeks on end. When a chilly day strikes, won’t we be happier in a coat that feels like spring, even if the weather doesn’t?
I know it feels counterintuitive, but at this point, it’s pretty damn necessary to stock up on spring coats of all kinds. The silver lining? While shopping for cozy, spring-friendly pieces, we can also look ahead and shop lighter-weight, very spring-friendly ones. Warmer temperatures are just around the corner, but until then, we plan to stun in the cutest spring coats on the market.
1. Quilted Shell Trench Coat, $190 at ASOS
Camel trenches already feel a little spring-y, but they feel even spring-ier when covered in vibrant colorblocks.
2. Feather Look Jacket, $39.90 at Zara
Because if you have to wear a fuzzy coat in the middle of spring, it better be pink.
3. Curve Coat, $111 at ASOS
Such a pretty shade of periwinkle you might not even care it’s 40 degrees outside.
4. Chesterton Trench Coat, $265 at Anthropologie
So you can stay looking sunny even if the weather doesn’t.
5. I.AM.GIA Pixie Coat, $110 at Revolve
OK, teddy coats are so cute they deserve to transcend seasonality.
6. Flowy Trench Coat, $89.90 at Zara
The perfect go-to, no matter what you’re wearing.
7. Leaf Snap Button-Front Rain Coat, $119 at Urban Outfitters
Prepare yourself for all those April showers you keep hearing about.
8. Rustic Coat, $69.90 at Zara
Especially great for offices that are somehow always too cold.
9. Belted Trench Coat, $149 at Zara
A trendy trench in one of 2019’s favorite shades.
10. House of Sunny Faux Patent Crocodile Coat, $260 at Urban Outfitters
Croc-embossed textiles are having a major moment.
11. Curve Plisse Textured Coat, $95 at ASOS
If cold weather means more time to wear this adorable coat, we’re kind of on board.
12. Long Printed Coat, $119 at Zara
Maintain your carefully curated spring bohemian aesthetic while staying weather-appropriate.
13. Hooded Drawstring Parka, $149 at Zara
Looking for your next go-to? We think you’ve just found it.
14. Colorblock Puffer Jacket, $129 at Urban Outfitters
A little conflicted about the idea of wearing a puffer coat in April. But if you’ve gotta, might as well have something this colorful on hand.
15. Colorblock Coat, $95 at ASOS
This trench feels distinctly spring-y—catch us in it for the next month and a half.
16. Mango Faux Fur Jacket, $180 at Anthropologie
Faux fur is totally on the spring sartorial menu—especially when its rendered in such a fun, spring-friendly shade.
17. Capulet Danna Gingham Belted Trench Coat, $249 at Urban Outfitters
OK, you probably won’t be able to bust this one out for a bit. But it’ll pay to own something so lightweight (and so adorable) once the snow’s gone for good.
18. Urban Renewal Recycled Patch Jacket, $39.99 at Urban Outfitters
This quilted jacket looks warm—but not overwhelmingly so. Perfect for changing seasons.
19. River Island Faux Fur Coat, $135 at ASOS
Because when it’s spring, it’s basically impossible to argue against pastel anything.
20. Belted Frock Coat, $89.90 at Zara
All but guaranteed to energize you every time you look at it.
21. Dolman Quilted Knit Jacket, $198 at Free People
A quilted jacket fit for beach wear? We can’t imagine anything spring-ier.
22. Boss Casual Quilted Coat, $504 at ASOS
Another quilted coat that doesn’t feel too quilted for warmer weather.
23. Fluorescent Menswear Coat, $199 at Zara
At this point, bright colors feel like the easiest way to remain in denial of the cold weather.
24. Plaid Coat, $129 at Zara
In case you prefer notes of fluorescence to all-fluorescent-everything ensembles.
25. Quilt Padded Satin Jacket, $71 at ASOS
This would look perfect tossed over your favorite florals.
26. Faux Suede Double-Breasted Trench Coat, $89.90 at Zara
Suede trenches are ill-fit for winter—because you’d never wear them in the snow. So whip out this beauty and usher spring right on in.
27. Jordan Denim Puffer Jacket, $129 at Urban Outfitters
It’s literally a denim puffer coat. Does anything scream “spring” louder than that?
28. Longline Lightweight Parka, $64 at ASOS
More striking color, please.
29. Piccadilly Striped Coat, $230 at Anthropologie
From the cut to the print to the palette, this coat is ready to accompany you everywhere you go this spring.
30. Harley Faux Suede Trench, $178-180 at Anthropologie
Suede is always a good idea.
31. Oversized Textured Pastel Coat, $95 at ASOS
If you won’t give us consistently warm weather, at least give us pastel pink everything.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in March 2019.