Scroll To See More Images
It’s a near-universally accepted truth that the little black dress cannot be touched. The LBD is a mainstay in any wardrobe—and has been for decades on end. But in 2019, one similarly chic little number promises to upend the LBD’s reign—or at least, to disrupt it. Meet: 2019’s little white dress trend.
Little white dresses have been on our radar since last September, when an array of designers showed LWDs at New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2019. But we haven’t had the pleasure of enjoying everything they have to offer until now, when spring is in full swing. You see, little white dresses offer a specifically warm-weather appeal; they’re the kind of thing you slip into when it’s so sunny outside you can’t bear the thought of wearing anything dark.
So we’ve just been sitting here, watching adorable little white dress after adorable little white dress filter into our favorite retailers—all the while hoping the weather would shift from consistently breezy to consistently hot AF so we’d actually have an excuse to buy all the LWDs that’d caught our eye. And reader, as you well know, the weather has changed. We’ve reached the middle of April, and it’s warm now. In fact, it’s pretty damn hot. The sun is out, the birds are chirping and our closets are yearning for a little more LWD.
Because the little black dress is great (and trust us, we’ll still be wearing our favorite LBDs on the reg), but the LWD is untouchable on a hot spring day. The season is young and full of opportunities to stock up on little white dresses, and we’re seizing all of them.
1. Denim Maxi Shirtdress, $72 at ASOS
Your new favorite way to wear denim to work.
2. Josie Floral Linen Embroidered Midi Dress, $119 at Urban Outfitters
Part little white dress, part spring floral dress—all cute.
3. Every Eyelet Midi Dress, $199.95 at Free People
We’re feeling inspired to plan our next beach getaway just looking at this eyelet midi.
4. Susana Monaco Flutter Sleeve Dress, $61 at Revolve
Of course the LWD offers cocktail hour appeal.
5. Diamond Dolls Sundress, $165 at Free People
The perfect go-to for lazy weekend days.
6. Weekday Volume Shirtdress, $72 at ASOS
Veritably chic. Because chic and sun-friendly appeal are far from mutually exclusive.
7. Cross My Heart Mini Dress, $148 at Free People
A little white dress that’ll take you from the park to the bar—and anywhere else you’re going this weekend.
8. Urban Renewal Remnants Poplin Tiered Midi Dress, $79 at Urban Outfitters
A blank canvas for all your favorite statement jewelry.
9. Solstice Mini Dress, $300 at Free People
An LWD fit for any season.
10. Follow Suit Blazer Dress, $35 at Nasty Gal
Sleek, sophisticated and a little sexy—if that’s not a sartorial trifecta, we don’t know what is.
11. Spell on Your Embroidered Mini Dress, $148 at Free People
Embroidered details are cute. Embroidered details on LWDs are cuter.
12. Robby Kobo Daliah Dress, $498 at Revolve
A nod to two of 2019’s favorite trends—LWDs and ruffle details—at once.
13. V-Neck Button-Down Dress, $56 at ASOS
Chic summer office style.
14. Milkmaid Broderie Mini Dress, $51 at ASOS
The ultimate sundress for a day spent at the park.
15. Karina Grimaldi Nelia Dress, $134 at Revolve
Steal the spotlight at the next outdoor BBQ you’re invited to.
16. NBD Mercy Trench Dress, $268 at Revolve
All the chic sophistication of a trench, rendered in a spring-friendly format.
17. Marina Puff-Sleeve Button-Front Midi Dress, $79 at Urban Outfitters
Puffy sleeves, full skirt, can’t lose.
18. Katrina Eyelet Tiered Ruffle Mini Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
This LWD might skew more tank top than mini dress depending on your height, but hey—it’s cute AF regardless.
19. Melly Dress, $299.95 at Free People
A nod to spring’s enduring lace trend without veering into too-delicate territory.
20. Laura Ashley Chloe Ruffle Apron Midi Dress, $89 at Urban Outfitters
Amazing how much a couple thoughtfully placed ruffles can do.
21. Tibi Removable Belted Shirred Sleeve Dress, $495 at Revolve
Not your average belted dress at all.
22. Eyeye Eyelet Dress, $249 at Urban Outfitters
A little lace, a little frill, a little puff-sleeve—because if you want it all, you deserve to have it all.
23. LPA Double Breasted Jacket, $248 at Revolve
Trench jacket dresses are the LWD sub-trend you didn’t know you needed.
24. Cheesecloth Tiered Midi Sundress, $45 at ASOS
Perfect for wearing at the beach—or to the grocery store.
25. Monki Midi Shirtdress, $38 at ASOS
Shirtdresses are too damn cute to resist.
26. Divine Heritage Off-the-Shoulder Dress, $545 at Revolve
Because of course LWDs are available in off-the-shoulder variations.
27. La Petite Tie-Back Frock Mini Dress, $59 at Urban Outfitters
Slip into this and slide into your favorite sandals, and you’ll have comfy-cute spring style in an instant.
28. House of Harlow 1960 x Revolve Milo Dress, $178 at Revolve
Perfect for any spring/summer party on your calendar (as long as that party isn’t someone else’s wedding).
29. Violette Midi Dress, $178 at Anthropologie
Cute, comfortable and prepared to take you anywhere.
30. Lovers + Friends Cohen Mini Dress, $168 at Revolve
An LWD fit for date night.
31. Rib Maxi Polo Shirtdress, $22.50 at ASOS
A shirtdress that’ll never feel too structured.
32. Ulla Johnson Whitley Dress, $545 at Revolve
Turn heads—because you can.
33. Tie-Back Babydoll Mini Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in May 2017.