You might be sick of hearing the phrase #SquadGoals right about now, but it’s hard to deny the power it wields. Understanding the importance of female friendships is critical for every woman, and we couldn’t be happier that influential stars like Taylor Swift are embracing other women, rather than cattily pitting them against each other.
But Taylor’s not the only one. Plenty of other ladies—from superstars like Lena Dunham and Oprah Winfrey to beloved fictional characters like Samantha Jones—have waxed poetic about the significance of their cliques, so read on for 12 friendship quotes that’ll make you want to speed-dial your BFF.
1. “I think about my best friendship—which the Marni–Hannah friendship in Girls is based on—as like a great romance of my young life.” –Lena Dunham
2. “Maybe we could be each other’s soul mates. Then we could let men be just these great, nice guys to have fun with.” –Charlotte, Sex and the City
3. “No matter how tired I am, I get dinner at least once a week with my girlfriends. Or have a sleepover. Otherwise my life is just all work.” –Jennifer Lawrence
4. “I love my husband, but there’s nothing like a conversation with a woman that understands you. I grow so much from those conversations. I need my sisters.” –Beyoncé
5. “Other women who are killing it should motivate you, thrill you, challenge you, and inspire you rather than threaten you and make you feel like you’re immediately being compared to them.” –Taylor Swift
6. “One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about.” –Mindy Kaling
7. “I have made some of the best friends that I’ve got in this business.” –Kate Moss
8. “We made a deal ages ago. Men, babies, it doesn’t matter. We’re soul mates.” –Samantha, Sex and the City
9. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will ride the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” –Oprah Winfrey
10. “If I murdered someone, she’s the person I’d call to help me drag the corpse across the living room floor. She’s my person.” –Meredith, Grey’s Anatomy
11. “She’s my friend because we both know what it’s like to have people be jealous of us.” –Cher Horowitz, Clueless
12. “Only hang around people that are positive and make you feel good. Anybody who doesn’t make you feel good, kick them to the curb. And the earlier you start in your life, the better.” –Amy Poehler