Scroll To See More Images
Florals for spring may not be groundbreaking—but that’s because they’re emblematic of the season. Spring doesn’t quite feel like spring until the sun is shining, the temperatures are rising, the flowers are blooming and the fashion set is clad in their favorite floral dresses. The practice feels like an almost ritualistic celebration of the calendar’s most anticipated season. (Say what you will about summer and fall, but spring means the end of the months-long slog of frigidity known as winter.)
There are, of course, other sartorial ways to ring in spring. Winter coats are traded for lightweight spring jackets. Boots are swapped for sandals. Our palettes become more diverse in the way of color—simultaneously more vibrant and more pastel. But floral dresses endure as a hallmark of spring, leaving our wardrobes feeling as fresh, and new, and full of hope as the world that surrounds us. And really, how groundbreaking does something need to be when it’s that damn exciting?
What’s nice: There’s no single right way to sport a floral dress in the spring. There are graphic florals, traditional florals, mod florals. There are maximalist takes on the print—and minimalist ones, too. Floral dresses are available in every aesthetic and color palette imaginable, offering us all a veritable plethora of ways to get our spring style on. So remind me what we’re waiting for, again?
1. On the Road Temptress Maxi Dress, $106 at Lulus
I own this, and it’s exactly as stunning as it looks online. (Also, the plunging neckline is tight enough that you won’t have to worry about nip slips.)
2. Whimsical Wildflower Shift Dress, $79 at ModCloth
Fit for the ’60s—or, you know, the 2010s.
3. Monki Floral Print Dress, $34 at ASOS
A not-so-obvious floral for the not-so-floral-obsessed shopper.
4. House of Hackney Dress, $48 at & Other Stories
A low-key way to make spring’s patchwork trend happen.
5. Print Dress, $69.90 at Zara
A pink floral that doesn’t feel overwhelmingly feminine.
6. Apple Satin Bias Slip Dress, $75 at Topshop
Even spring’s slip dress trend is getting the floral treatment.
7. Sherbert Lace Midi Dress, $188 at Anthropologie
Because florals can manifest as textures, too.
8. Moss Copenhagen Midi Smock Dress, $48.50 at ASOS
OK. I need this.
9. Posies Mini Dress, $128 at Free People
The perfect floral dress for date night. Or any night, really.
10. Bella Smocked Slip, $88 at Free People
All-over smocked dresses are always a good idea.
11. My Name Is Rose Maxi Dress, $490 at Free People
Lace, florals and chiffon—oh my.
12. Reclaimed Vintage Puff-Sleeve Dress, $61 at ASOS
Simultaneously vintage and contemporary.
13. Valley of Lillies Maxi Dress, $228 at Free People
A maxi so comfy you might just want to live in it.
14. Limited Edition Draped Print Dress, $89.90 at Zara
I’ll take a dainty floral with a side of serious ruching, please.
15. Essentiel Antwerp Slogger Floral Dress, $362 at ASOS
This dress just wants to render you a walking work of art.
16. Mabel Floral Smocked Mini Dress, $39.99 at Urban Outfitters
Just enough smocked detailing to keep this piece on-trend.
17. Jessa Lace Mini Dress, $250 at Free People
Who said florals can’t be monochromatic?
18. I Am Lola Embroidered Maxi Dress, $480 at Free People
A maxi that’ll take you from the beach to fancy oceanfront dinner.
19. Hallie Floral Puff-Sleeve Mini Dress, $69 at Urban Outfitters
All kinds of cute.
20. Whistle Ditsy Floral Tiered Dress, $252 at ASOS
The more floral ruffles, the merrier.
21. Este Sheer Organza Puff-Sleeve Midi Dress, $129 at Urban Outfitters
Organza is happening this season.
22. Starlight Mini Dress, $250 at Free People
BRB, buying this and wearing it every day.
23. Casablanca Slip, $88 at Free People
Because silk isn’t the only way to get your slip dress on.
24. Shoshanna Comtois Dress, $395 at Anthropologie
A floral dress fit for the lover of all-black-everything.
25. Glamorous Bloom Cold Shoulder Swing Dress, $21 at ASOS
Color, color and more color.
26. Joanne Dress, $595 at Free People
An off-the-shoulder maxi you don’t have to wear off your shoulders.
27. Floral Printed Skater Dress, $89 at & Other Stories
Bring on the mini dresses.
28. Lacey Dress, $319 at Anthropologie
Doesn’t this dress leave you feeling like warm spring days are right around the corner?
29. Yumi Kim Wild Rose Maxi Dress, $268 at Anthropologie
Comfy (and versatile) enough to wear anywhere.
30. Midi Tea Dress, $56 at ASOS
Perfect for work.
31. Mix It Up Tunic, $128 at Free People
Just enough flowers to qualify as floral—while still offering an understated take on the movement.
32. Floral Print Dress, $69.90 at Zara
Maxi dresses are always a good idea.
33. ML Monique Lhuillier Eva Lace Dress, $495 at Anthropologie
The perfect floral dress for all the semiformal events on your calendar.
34. Wrap Midi Dress, $119 at & Other Stories
Brown, burgundy and royal blue are a super surprising match made in heaven.
35. Floral Oaxaca Mini Dress, $249.95 at Free People
Floral doesn’t have to mean all-over floral.
36. Floral Print Wrap Midi Dress, $59 at & Other Stories
& Other Stories always has this delicate floral on offer—and I can’t get enough.
37. Daisy Street Midaxi Smock Dress, $32 at ASOS
A floral dress that feels distinctly Scandinavian.
38. Milk It Vintage Square-Neck Dress, $29 at ASOS
Funky AF—but I’m into it.
39. PrettyLittleThing Button-Down Maxi Shirtdress, $48 at ASOS
A maxi shirtdress that’ll take you from season to season.
40. Floral Duster Caftan, $198 at Anthropologie
It’s officially caftan season.
41. Moon River Off-the-Shoulder Mini Dress, $111 at ASOS
A sophisticated take on the ever-trendy tropical print.
Our mission at STYLECASTER is to bring style to the people, and we only feature products we think you’ll love as much as we do. Please note that if you purchase something by clicking on a link within this story, we may receive a small commission of the sale.
A version of this story was originally published in May 2017.