Name: Erin McKenna
Occupation: Owner, BabyCakes NYC
Location: New York City
1. What is your go-to shopping destination?
It’s a tie between Castor and Pollux and Albertine in the West Village.
2. How would you describe yourself in one sentence?
I’m a reckless risk taker that takes on anything that inspires me.
3. What is the ultimate item on your wish list this season?
A big ponytail!! I want some clip on real-lookin’ stuff so I can run around in a t-shirt and shorts and big ass hair and be like, “What?”
4. Who are your favorite designers?
Alexander Wang, Ann Demeulemeester, Elise Øverland, Chanel, Halston, Chloé, Dries Van Noten and Marni, Sharon Brunsher, Whitley Kros. What do I wear? Uh…my boyfriend’s shirts and Levi shorts! But I have some accessories; I’m working on a great collection of jewelry! Draugsvold earrings! I love that the designers are these two surfers that live in the Rockaways and they make the most ornate, chic pieces.
5. What is your favorite tradition?
Watching the fireworks over Glorietta Bay on the 4th of July.
6. If your life were made into a movie, who would you want to star as you? Why?
Sacha Baron Cohen because I know he would nail it! And it would sell out theaters.
7. If you had a time machine, which style era would you visit first?
8. If you could be on the cover of any magazine in the world, what would it be and what would you wear?
Fantastic Man. I would wear a tuxedo and have my hair slicked back and have make-up like the girls from the “Simply Irresistible” video but wear a fake mustache.
9. If you could emulate the style of a fictional character, who would it be?
10. Tell us about the five pieces you find yourself buying, wearing, and replacing over and over again.
Super thin t-shirts, tennis style shorts, navy blue cardigans, vintage summer dresses, Oxford shirts.
11. What is one beauty product you can’t imagine living life without?
Fresh “Age of Innocence” cream blush.
12. Tell us about your signature drink- what is it, where do you get it?
Yerba Mate. I love Guayaki that you can get at Whole Foods. When I gave up coffee I was so depressed and was looking for a healthy pick-me-up tea for the morning. Not only does it make me alert, but it puts me in the best mood.
13. It’s your Final Supper– who’s there and what meal do you ask for?
Wayne Dwyer, Julia Child, and Stevie Wonder. We’ll eat grilled cheese sandwiches with 3 kinds of cheeses. I can’t eat gluten or cheese so that has become my ultimate food fantasy. Oh, and Baskin Robbins Gold Medal Ribbon ice cream for dessert.
14. What movie gets better even after the 30-something time?
Spinal Tap. It’s one of those movies that is funny when you are anticipating the scene ahead and saying the lines with it.
15. What theme song best describes your life?
Big Things Poppin’ by T.I.
16. What inspires you?
People who are 100 and don’t care what other people think of them; unapologetically, themselves.
17. What’s next?
Uniforms by In God We Trust, a couple more stores in the next 5 years and a few more books!
Name: Erin McKenna