On this episode of Midnight Snack, our host Samantha Lim is feeling tipsy—and hungry. Luckily, chef Dean Sheremet comes over to prepare her a fancy grilled cheese that’s perfect for the occasion. Watch how to make it in the video above, then try making one for yourself the next time you’re buzzed.
Gruyère Grilled Cheese with Fig Jam and Apple
2 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
2 slices bread of your choice
2 to 3 tablespoons fig jam
2 ounces Gruyère cheese, grated and held at room temperature
½ Granny Smith apple, sliced 1/8-inch thick
2 ounces sharp white Cheddar, grated and held at room temperature
- Heat a 10-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the pan until it starts to foam, meanwhile spread an even layer of the jam on one side of the two slices of bread.
- Add the first slice to the melted butter jam side up; add the Gruyère, and fan the apples on top of the cheese.
- Add the cheddar on top of the apple slices, and top with the other slice of bread, jam side down. Spread the remaining butter evenly on the outside of the top slice of bread.
- Using a spatula, push the sandwich into the pan to brown evenly.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Check the doneness: The bread should be golden brown. Flip and continue to cook 2 to 3 more minutes until sandwich is crisp and browned on both sides. (If it starts to brown too quickly, turn the flame down.)
- Slice and serve immediately.