ATTENTION, PEOPLE! This incredible recipe will change your life. Pamela Salzman is a genius in the kitchen. She created a delicious pizza that happens to be full of fiber and completely carb-free.
As avid pizza lovers, we have to admit that we were a little skeptical when she told us that we were making the crust out of finely pulsed cauliflower, but the proof is in the pie. It’s not exactly the same experience as a traditional pizza, but it has its own unique, truly impressive, and most importantly scrumptious quality that we are still dreaming about. Go make this!
Cauliflower Crust Pizzas
Makes 12 3-inch pizzas or 1 10–12-inch pizza
1 small head of cauliflower (about 1 1⁄4 pounds), cut into large florets
Pinch of sea salt
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
Olive oil for brushing on pizza stone or baking sheet
1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 Tablespoon almond meal/flour
2 egg whites, lightly beaten with a fork
Desired accompaniments: marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place a baking sheet or pizza stone in the oven as it is heating up. Brush a large piece of parchment paper with olive oil (big enough to fit your pizza stone or baking sheet).
2. Place the cauliflower in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse for about 30 seconds until you get very small pieces (resembling snow or rice). You should end up with about 3 cups of cauliflower.
3. Place the cauliflower and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer, cover, and allow to steam for about 5 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Drain and allow to cool.
4. When the cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it all up in a clean, thin dish towel and squeeze out as much excess water as possible. The less moist the cauliflower, the crispier the crust will be.
5. Transfer the squeezed cauliflower to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan or Pecorino, mozzarella, salt, dried oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and almond meal/flour. Add egg whites and mix with your hands until combined.
6. Using your hands, form the mixture into tightly packed 3-inch rounds or a 10–12-inch round and place them on the oiled parchment paper. You can shape the large crust right on the paper.
7. Slide the parchment paper onto the HOT baking sheet or pizza stone. An inverted baking sheet can help with this.
8. Bake for approximately 15 minutes until the crust starts to turn golden brown.
9. Remove crusts from oven and top with desired toppings, then place back in the oven and cook for another 7 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. You just don’t want to overdo it with any toppings that are very wet.
10. Allow to cool slightly and serve.
Notes: You can bake the crusts earlier in the day and refrigerate them until ready to top and bake.
Video by: Sasha Young
How You Glow is the lifestyle source for health-driven, pleasure-seeking individuals who desire to live a balanced, nourished life. We offer tips, tricks, and solutions on how to get the GLOW, which we define as positive vibrational energy that radiates from the inside out. Most importantly, we inspire our readers to live delicious, vibrant lives, one experience at a time. Follow along on Instagram at @howyouglow.