In the leadup to the Emmys—this Sunday, people!—we’ve seen some stellar beauty looks. But when it comes to amazing hair, nobody has done it better than Rachel Weisz at the Toronto International Film Festival. Elegant yet still fun, this sleek, twisted style is the work of star stylist Alex Polillo. “Rachel’s breathtaking Valentino dress is whimsical and begs for an equally playful updo,” he said—and we’ve got the breakdown of exactly how to create this gorgeous, twisted hairstyle.
1. Begin this style when hair is still damp.
2. Apply a leave-in heat protector throughout, then roughly blow-dry the hair. When we tested this, we found that it was easiest to style hair that was about three-quarters dry, so leave it a little damp at the ends!
3. Deep-part the hair to one side, then twist it up in a bun and leave it as it cools. “I wanted to render extra waves,” Alex said.
4. Gently roll the hair away from the face on both sides, using a dab of lightweight styling paste on the fingertips to give hair extra grip. We like Leonor Greyl Baume Bois de Rose ($48, leonorgreyl-usa.com)—not only does it provide amazing hold with zero stickiness, it smells amazing. Plus, you only need the tiniest amount on just your fingertips to help the hair stick together.
5. Cross the twisted sections of hair over each other in the back, securing with bobby pins.
6. Loosen a few strands of hair around your face. “We wanted the look to appear effortless and not overdone, and this step is crucial to creating a natural look,” Alex told us.
7. Finish with a blast of medium-hold hairspray to keep the style in place and flyaways under control.
And the best part? When we tested out this hair tutorial, we had a practically effortless updo in under five minutes. Now that’s the kind of red carpet ready hairstyle that we can get behind!
More from Daily Makeover: Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life