View this post on Instagram
Twists, braids, and locs are not just GORGEOUS and perfect for summer, they represent strength and beauty, as @Zendaya so eloquently stated during the Oscars incident. In the June/July issue of @teenvogue I write about my personal experience rocking Marley Twists–and traveling all the way to Rwanda to learn about the rich history behind this hairstyle. It sheds light on the merging of culture, beauty, and activism through the lens of hair. I encourage you to pick up the issue or read the story online. So grateful to the brilliant team who brought this story to life 👏👏👏@edwardlampley @phillipasteele @ladyalicelane @robbiefimmano @Andreaskokkino.
What better way to start out the day than with the must-click talking points from around the web, curated by us. Have a story you’d like to nominate? We’ll be posting our top stories each morning, so tweet us at @BeautyHigh #BHbuzz
1. A Teen Vogue spread opens up some interesting dialogue about biracial beauty within a model casting controversy. [Racked]
2. New genes have been discovered that are literal anti-agers. They refuse to age. [Refinery 29]
3. Two of Instagram’s favorite hairstylists and colorists explain why you’re never happy with your hair. [Byrdie]
4. Find out how pickles can calm nerves, plus other weird tricks for serenity right now. [Daily Makeover]
5. YouTuber, NikkieTutorials is showing everyone #ThePowerOfMakeup in her selfies—featuring only half of her face with makeup on—to tell makeup-shamers to shove it. [POPSUGAR Beauty]