Messy waves is the hairstyle of many names. Commonly classified as wind-blown, bedhead, or sex hair, the look is having a moment on the runway, practically every red carpet, and IRL. Search the term on Pinterest and you’ll find yourself going down a rabbit hole of hair inspiration.
While there’s no shortage of touseled hair looks to lust over, easy tutorials are seriously lacking. That’s why our messy hair series wouldn’t have been complete without a DIY for this ubiquitous style that you can realistically master. Just follow these 6 simple steps from Judy McGuinness, Senior Stylist at Mizu Salon in New York City, for the effortlessly undone ‘do of your Pin-board dreams.
1. This style is best created with day-old or slightly dirty hair. Spray with a heat protectant that also has some hold to it.
2. Your hair will be separated into three sections: bottom, middle, and top. Start by sectioning off the hair at the nape of your neck (the bottom) from ear to ear. Clip the rest up.
3. Take one-inch sections from the hair that’s down and and wrap them around a one-inch curling iron, alternating directions as you go.
4. Comb through with a wide-tooth comb to loosen up the waves and tease the bottom, adding lots of texture spray.
5. Continue steps 3 and 4 for each section. The top section, at the crown of the head, should be the last.
6. Shake your hair loose.