What could be a better relaxed hairstyle than the classic ponytail? It’s quick, it’s easy and, with a few adjustments, it always looks chic.
But if you’re rocking a blunt cut, or if your hair is a little shorter than you’d like, you probably aren’t getting the long, elegantly disheveled ponytail of your dreams—at least, not without a boatload of extensions. The solution? A double ponytail. Not only does this make you look like your hair has grown inches overnight, it also adds crazy volume and thickness to even the finest hair…and it’s incredibly easy. Here’s how to do a double ponytail in two minutes flat.
1. Part your hair horizontally from ear to ear so that it’s divided into two equal halves.
2. Pull the top section up into a half-up half-down style and secure with a tie that’s the same shade as your hair. Make this top ponytail as neat or as messy as you like!
3. Pull the bottom section of your hair into a ponytail right beneath the first one.
4. Wrap a small section of hair around the base of your top pony to hide the tie, securing with a bobby pin.
5. This style needs a little texture to look good; add some light wave or curl to your ponytails by curling 1″ sections with a barreled curling iron, then combing it out. If you have fine hair, spritz a little dry shampoo through the lengths to add grip and roughness.
6. Lightly tease your two ponytails, adding most of the volume to the top. Your top pony should be big enough to hide the bottom one, but not so big that you’re rocking two giant tangles.
7. Voila! Not only does your ponytail look longer, it also looks beautifully full. You now have the perfect double ponytail. Go out and enjoy your day with the hair of your dreams!
More from Daily Makeover: How to Style the Best Topknot Ever