As summer ticks on and we do practically nothing but sweat, we naturally look for hot weather-approved hairstyles—anything to get our hair up and off our necks. And, as we often do in times of hair-crisis, we turn to topknots to save the day: they’re quick, easy and basically summer-proof.
But how to de-boring the classic topknot? By taking a cue from Tracee Ellis Ross and adding some volume, of course. A little more glam than gym, this style is pulled-together yet still totally fun. And the best part? It works with every hair type. Here’s how to style a voluminous topknot for your weekend—and beyond.
1. Brush. If you have straight or wavy hair, brush it well and add some dry shampoo to the lengths for extra “grittiness” and texture. If you have curly hair, comb your fingers through it so that you don’t destroy your curl pattern and frizz your hair up.
2. Ponytail time! Pull your hair up into a very high ponytail. The higher the pony, the closer to God! If your hair is shorter and bits slip out, comb those up towards the ponytail, pin with bobby pins, then secure with hairspray.
3. Teasing. Lightly tease your pony so that it’s bigger than it usually is, but not a matted mess. Straight and wavy-haired ladies, use a narrow-toothed comb or teasing brush; those with curls, use a wide-tooth comb and discretion. You don’t want your hair to be one big tangle.
4. Twist and shape. Gently twist your ponytail like you’re going to style a bun and gently wrap it around the base of your ponytail. Lobbed babes will probably only be able to go around once; those with longer hair will be able to go around several times. Just make sure that you aren’t TIGHTLY coiling the hair; you want this to be quite loose and big.
5. Pin. When you have your hair positioned the way you like it, use more bobby pins to secure. Pin the end of the ponytail so it doesn’t unravel, then at regular intervals around the base of the bun. Pull gently at your hair to loosen it, if you like, after it’s pinned down.
6. Tah-dah! Spray with hairspray to finish, and you now have the perfect voluminous topknot. Pair with bold red lips and dewy skin for a weekend look that will take you from errands to date night with zero worries.
Once you’ve got this down, the entire style from start to finish will take you about three minutes. Now get out there and enjoy your weekend!
More from Daily Makeover: How To Do an Easy French Twist