DIY holiday nail art manicures become more of a pain than a means of celebration when you need a professional-level kit of instruments to complete it. Isn’t the word holiday supposed to be somewhat synonymous to taking a bit of a breather? And for all you who haven’t yet mastered free-hand drawing a star (um, it’s kind of hard), the concept of creating a Fourth of July manicure probably seems like all work and no play.
We’ll admit we felt the same way about all those supposedly easy “stars and stripes” DIYs, too. That is, until we came across this one from JINsoon—one that consists of stars and stripes and polka dots and zero intricate sketching other than a few swipes of polish across your nail bed.
Those polka dots? They’re actually an effect of a nail lacquer, meaning they are a part of the formula— you don’t have to dot each individual shape on. Not bad, right? Follow the how-to below, created by Jin Soon Choi, founder of the JINsoon Nail Lacquer line and Jin Soon Hand & Foot Spas in NYC, to get the look. It’s a manicure we’re assuming you’ll want to wear a lot longer than just one day in the first week of July.
1. Start by applying a base coat like JINsoon Power Coat to clean nails.
2. Next, fill in JINsoon Coquette—the deep red pictured above—on half of the nail. Alternate painting this color between the bottom and top of each nail.
3. Fill in the other unpainted half of the nail with JINsoon Blue Iris polish.
4. To get the polka dots, apply two coats of JINsoon Polka White polish. If you don’t have this exact glitter polish, use any that you have, just making sure to apply the glitter lightly so you get a polka dot effect.
5. Finish off with a top coat like JINsoon Top Gloss