25 Ways to Wear a Dress This Winter and Not Freeze Your Ass Off

243 Shares
25 Ways to Wear a Dress This Winter and Not Freeze Your Ass Off
25 Start slideshow
Photo: Getty Images

One of my old coworkers and I used to joke that we spent 90 percent of our time from November through March in the exact same uniform—opaque black tights and a Uniqlo Heattech turtleneck—layered under a rotating selection of dresses or skirts and tops. The remaining 10 percent being showers, workouts, and, well … whatever else precludes wearing head-to-toe thermal wear.

For some reason, though, people (men especially) tend to insist that you must be cold if you’re not wearing pants in the winter. I blame the patriarchy. Or something.

MORE: 5 Upstart Minimalist Brands to Know Before They Hit the Big Time

With a well-practiced layering game, a dress can actually be just as comfortable (well, as comfortable as one can be in subfreezing temperatures). Wear one with a pair of over-the-knee boots, pile on a sweater, jacket, and coat, or get creative with your hosiery and put on both tights and socks before you head out the door.

MORE: The Warmest, Coziest Clothes to Wrap Yourself In This Winter

Not convinced? Click through the slideshow to see 25 winter-dress outfits that’ll keep you warm and toasty—no matter what that random dude on the street says.

0 Thoughts?
1 of 25
Photo: Ordinary People
Photo: Atlantic-Pacific
Photo: Getty Images
Photo: Getty Images

Photo: Bekleidet

Photo: Bekleidet
Photo: Where Did U Get That

Photo: Dans Vogue

Photo: Dans Vogue
Photo: With Love From Kat
Photo: Elodie in Paris
Photo: Getty Images

Photo: Sylvie Mus

Photo: Sylvie Mus

Photo: Honey N Silk

Photo: Honey N Silk
Photo: Getty Images
Photo: Getty Images
Photo: Stephanie Zwicky
Photo: Wait You Need This
Photo: Natalie Off Duty

Photo: Simply Cyn

Photo: Simply Cyn

Photo: So In Carmel

Photo: So In Carmel
Photo: Getty Images

Photo: So Sage

Photo: So Sage

Photo: Lafotka

Photo: Lafotka
Photo: World Needs Blondes
Photo: Ellen Claesson
Photo: Getty Images

Next slideshow starts in 10s

13 Gorgeous Burgundy Eyeshadows to Try This Winter

13 Gorgeous Burgundy
Eyeshadows to Try This Winter

Promoted Stories

share