1. Zac Posen hosting dance lessons with Coco Rocha at Saks. We had to ask was it his idea? “No,” he told us, “it was absolutely serendipitous, but I love to dance.” And what of the rest of the evening with his Z. Spoke collection presentation looming? “After this, it’s back to my studio to finish my final fittings for the girls that I can find. The show is going to be really entertaining.” We wouldn’t doubt it…
2. The Olsen twins elicit more lines and frenzy than free ice cream day at Ben & Jerry’s. Look at these people all dying to get a cocktail from MK and Ash at Barneys New York. Just shows their cultural relevance hasn’t abated since the days of “How rude!” No lie, We could have used a martini, but that was too clausto for words.
3. Catherine Zeta Jones at Oscar de la Renta lived up to Fashion’s Night Out’s rep for bringing mere mortals, the fabulous, the famous and retailers together for a short but sweet evening. The Welsh beauty literally posed with every passerby.
4. Um, Prabal, Diane Kruger, Melissa George, Derek Blasberg and a host of models playing a designer version of Pictionary. We love the creativity of the events that occur during these super crowded hours.
5. The incredible windows at Bergdorf Goodman. The loyal FNO attendees got a very cool and artful display show including a Rumpelstiltskin gold spinning window, Warren Tricomi cutting hair set to music and a wax drip window worthy of Simon Doonan. So stunning.
6. Downtown, we went to check out Alexa Chung and her collection for Madewell. The Strokes were in the house, alongside DJ Binki Shapiro. We asked Alexa about the oddest thing that has happened to her so far this week. “I fell over on my ass at a Chanel event,” she says, laughing, “I was dancing.” We wanted all the clothes, which wasn’t much of a surprise, and Chung’s favorite piece the polka dot blouse, was our top choice as well. “It seems like it could go with a lot of things, and I’m quite cheap with what I buy; I like it to mix with a lot of things,” Chung explained. What do you think of Alexa’s shirt featuring a drawing she did herself?
7. Charlotte and Sam Ronson show their love for Silly Bandz (and JCPenney, of course) at the JCPenney I Heart Ronson party in Midtown. The millions of camera crews filming at the event wouldn’t move out of the way so we could ask the Ronsons which Silly Bandz they were trading, but we’ll just imagine it was some sort of music or fashion related set. Michelle Trachtenberg also made an appearance to mingle with the stylish sisters.
8. At American Express’ Zync tent in Meatpacking, designer Adam Lippes tells us his fashion week survival strategy (which is crucial considering that he is scheduled to show the day after FNO). “You know, I never had one, but about two months ago I started doing yoga. And I did it three times this week… I’m not really an “Ohm” kind of person, but it just takes you to a different spot.” Lippes told us. He also took a few moments to chat with the gorgeous models occupying the FNO spot, below.
9. Indie darlings My Gold Mask perform at the Phillip Lim store. They played a cover of “Bette Davis Eyes” because unknown fact Phillip loves that song. He’s dying front row watching the band. We love that song too, Phillip!
10. Rogan and Oak on Bond St. get in on the Black Carnival and so do we. We spot a topless, kind of scary woman singing in the window of Daryl K. Two drunk girls walk by, one says, “My feet hurt and I need to pee again.” Girl two says, “You need to f*cking suck it up.” And with that, we believe our night is done. Let the truth be told: No pain, no gain on FNO.
Pamela Love at the Black Carnival
Vena Cava’s Lisa Mayock at the Black Carnival
Rogan’s Rogan Gregory and Tori Praver at the Black Carnival
Compiled by Kelley Hoffman, Kerry Pieri and Michelle Halpern