It’s no secret that Courtney Love is bat sh$t crazy, but we’re assuming few people know the lady in question once studied at the San Francisco Art Institute and perhaps harbored a hankering for something besides Twitter mayhem and rock star widowhood. In fact, having had time to digest that Love is showcasing some of her artwork at the Fred Torres Collaborations in NYC right now (we avoided the opening for fear of reenacting that time from, like five years ago when she had a hysterical meltdown five feet away from us), we decided it was time to talk it up and talk it out.
Entitled She’s Not Even Pretty, Love bares all in an installation that includes drawings, watercolors, a shredded wedding gown and a bathtub decorated with numerous “f” bombs. Sexy, scary, disturbing and coy, we’re not sure what she’s trying to say, but we have plenty to ask:
1. Who the hell has 42 Birkins and do they need a new friend?
2. Shelter cats — does this mean Courtney’s a crazy cat lady on the edge?
3. Ok, so did new BFF Gwyneth Paltrow actually pose for her drawing a la Titanic style, or is that just wishful thinking on our behalf?
4. A shredded wedding dress with an aggressive feminist message — discuss.
5. If not every piece is about CLove then why is every chick blonde and either naked or in a slip? “Doll Parts” homage much?
While we have no answers to these and many other questions, we do have some examples of Love’s work in the slideshow above. Feel free to play art critic/Freudian analyst and leave your two cents in the comments section (because god knows we’re still trying to wrap our head around it…)