As a nail art junkie, I’m always changing and swapping out my nail colors, which can cause a lot of damage. With this damage to the nails, it can cause them to break and chip easier, which does not a pretty mani make! Follow these simple do’s and don’ts of nail care and your mani will always be looking good!
- Keep your fingernails clean and dry. This is the best way to prevent bacteria and fungi from growing under your finger nails, which can cause nasty colors and infections.
- Trim and file your nails regularly. This way they don’t get too long and become weaker, this making them more susceptible to breakage.
- Use moisturizer on your hands often. This isn’t just for keeping your hands soft, it’s also great for your nails and cuticles too.
- Apply a nourishing base coat that puts proteins back into the nail when you’re painting your nails, and finish your nails with a top coat every morning to avoid chips.
- Use biotin supplements. They are nourishing for your nails and help strengthen them (they also are great for your hair!)
- Never bite your fingernails! Not only is this a bad habit (mother knows best, right?) but you’re also creating tiny cuts in your skin and nail bed when you bite which can get bacteria into your nails which can lead to a host of other problems.
- Never file your nails right after showering. Nails are weaker after exposure to a large amount of water and they are more likely to break.
- Avoid polish removers with acetone or formaldehyde because they will dry out your nails.
- Never pull your hangnails off, always clip with a nail clipper. Just as with biting your nails, when you rip off hangnails it exposes your nails and fingers to infection.