Scroll To See More Images
Ever hear of the saying pain is beauty? Sometimes, that saying is all too true. We’re pretty serious when it comes to our beauty game, and on a scale of one to ten the below routine activities are what we do in the name of vanity, and are (sadly) the ways we all suffer for beauty again and again (and again).
1. Those of us who brave an eyelash curler on the daily will suffer from the occasional pinch. Not terribly serious, as far as injuries go— but surprising, painful, and definitely an off-putting way to start the day.
2. Our eyes take a lot of abuse, cosmetically speaking. Ever speed-brush your mascara only to hit a road bump otherwise known as your EYEBALL? The agony.
3. The stages of hair removal are varied and diverse. Threading feels a bit like a bunch of tiny critters gnawing on your eyebrows, inspiring us to really warm up to the full and bushy brow trend.
4. As far as facial sensations go, one you never want to feel comes with the territory of playing with fire—or at least acid. If you’ve ever OD’d on retinol or gotten a chemical peel with a bad reaction to boot, it probably feels like your face is literally burning off (technically, it kind of is).
5. Facials are all nice and relaxing… until you get to the extraction portion. And then it feels like you’re being punished for all those times you fell asleep without washing your makeup off.
6. Those of us who’ve bit the bleach bullet are very familiar with the initiation of pain that comes in the tingling burning sensation that comes with the glory of achieving platinum blonde locks.
7. If you’ve ever wanted Disney princess hair and went for legit hair extensions all over, depending on which kind you get (braided, taped in, sewn in… there are lots of ways to torture your hair follicles apparently), your poor scalp won’t be likely to forgive you for weeks (you’ll be able to tell from all the throbbing it’ll be doing instead).
8. Anyone who’s been less than vigilant with a curling wand will feel its sizzle with the slightest touch… or if you’re just feelin’ yourself and forget it’s not actually a microphone.
9. If you’ve gotten a bikini or Brazilian wax once or a hundred times it never feels any less excruciating. Remember, deep breaths…
10. The Mount Olympus of beauty pain involves voluntarily getting sliced and/or diced in the name of vanity. It seems so easy-peasy to hop in a doctor’s chair to just get a little boost here and there, but that isn’t necessarily the reality. We don’t want to even think about the recovery process of actual cosmetic surgery. Shudder.