Photo: © Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
Along with colorful dresses and seriously smoky eyes, one of the major beauty trends at last night’s SAG Awards were gorgeous, volumized waves. Just one look at the stunning Lea Michele and you can see why: Big, bodified waves are super-sexy and oh-so-flattering.
The Glee star accentuated her sparkling, body-baring Oscar de la Renta gown with these bedhead waves that made her look so va-va-voom that we couldn’t take our eyes off her. Lea usually likes to go romantic on the red carpet, but we think she really shines when she lets loose and shows off her sexy side.
Of course, we had to get the skinny on how to recreate this full hairstyle at home, so we went straight to the source–Mark Townsend, Lea’s go-to hair guy and Dove Celebrity Hairstylist Mark Townsend.
“I went to Lea’s dress fitting and immediately knew I had to complement it with a modern take on 70s chic glamour. I drew a lot of inspiration from photos of Bianca Jagger,” says Mark.
Here’s how to recreate this gorgeous look at home for your next big night out:
- Start with freshly-washed hair, then add in a drop of Dove Nourishing Oil Care Serum. “The oil blend in this line-with coconut and almond oils-absorbs into the hair instantly to nourish and smooth dry hair,” says Mark.
- Rake a volumizing mousse throughout damp hair with your fingers to add texture and volume, then blow dry five-inch sections with a round brush.
- Wrap two to three inch sections of hair around a one inch curling iron, away from the face to create big flowing waves. “While curling, I made sure to alternate the time I held each curl in the iron. The longer you apply heat, the sharper the curl. I alternated the curl time between 2 and 10 seconds to create different shapes throughout the hair that wouldn’t fold together,” says Mark.
- “I wanted to purposely create the fluff at the top of her head, so I had Lea flip her hair upside down,” says Mark. Rub a pea-size amount of smoothing cream in hands, and then rake it through the hair from the bottom up to eliminate flyaways and create shine and texture without compromising the waves.
- Finish by spraying a flexible hold hairspray through the hair to hold it in place.
Try on Lea Michele’s hairstyles in the <a href="
/virtual-makeover/celebrity-hairstyles/lea-michele/” title=”Lea Michele”>Makeover Studio!