Chalk it up to nerves, but it’s not uncommon to order light on a first date—and leave dinner utterly starving. Your feelings are enough to figure out, so we had Angie Mar, the executive chef at The Beatrice Inn, take care of handling what you should eat when you get home: her crazy-popular buttermilk fried chicken sandwich. Watch her whip one up in the video above, then follow her easy recipe below.
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich
2 boneless chicken thighs
Salt and black pepper
2 thick slices heirloom tomato
- Sprinkle boneless chicken thighs liberally with salt. Lightly coat each thigh with flour. Dip the coated thighs into buttermilk, and then dredge each in flour seasoned with salt and black pepper.
- Heat deep cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; add enough canola oil to come halfway up sides of thighs. Carefully add thighs to skillet and fry, turning halfway through, until golden brown.
- Transfer thighs to paper towels to drain, and immediately sprinkle with salt.
- Combine honey with hot sauce to taste. Drizzle mixture over thighs.
- Spread mayonnaise on two slices of white bread. Top one slice with both thighs and the tomato slices. Top with the remaining slice of bread, and cut sandwich diagonally. Transfer to plate and serve. Makes 1 sandwich.